Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have to pull my entire fornt end apart to install this Lockrite, I am going to redo the u-joints, etc, etc. and started thinking about converting the front to discs.
I have a complete Dana 44 with discs available for the swap. Can I just use the 44 disc stuff from knuckles out instead of the 30 drum stuff? I know the disc's are six lug, besides that is it a one to one swap? Does anyone know what Ford rotor would keep the five lug, and if the spindle from the same Ford would be used?
I was searching for info on the bbs but mainly pulled up rear stuff.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.

Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

G

·
I'm pretty sure that you would have to use a chevy 44 spindle... It bolts to the knuckle with 6 bolts, then you can use your ford hub and rotor.

JR
'94YJ,4cyl,33SX's,Locked F/R,NV4500,Soon to come:Wagoneer 44 Scout 44 & spools

G

·
I know that the knuckles you need are very early (pre-'76?) Chevy half ton or Jeep Wagoneer. The Ford rotor can come off of any F-150 up to I believe '91 or '92. You need to use the Chevy or Jeep caliper and caliper mount. To save some grief you might consider swapping the six lug stuff and having an axle or machine shop swap your 5 lug rear to six lug. The advantage of doing this is there is no mixing and matching of parts. Just a thought.
Rondo

'71 Jeepster, 3800 series engine, SM 420, SOA

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Yes, I have a friend that has done this several times, no problems. He just separated the two at the ball joints and swapped over, simple since he had to replace them anyway.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.