Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Jeep was serviced last week. As I'm too lazy /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif, I had the shop change the front diff juice. Now... my diff is 100% open... but they put in limited slip fluid. (Yes, I finally looked at my receipt tonight. )

Problem is this: I'm driving 200+miles tomorrow after work, and then sand womping all weekend.... should I get that stuff out of there before I leave? How much damage is it doing, if any?

I'm not sure if I've got a rock stuck in my discs, or I blew something... but there's an awful squeaking racket coming out of it already... (I got very muddy last Sat..., and haven't driven it again until tonight...)

TIA

Another Jeepgeek!
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All the LS fluid has is what's called a friction modifier. I doubt it would do any damage to an open diff, it's just a waste of money.
What I always do if I go wheeling and get muddy is hose off the brakes real good when I get back. Sounds like you just have
some crud stuck up in there.

Brad
Get active or get locked out, the choice is yours.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Brad's right LS fluid won't (should'nt) hurt anything.
ALWAYS (repeat over and over) clean , wash , hose all the crap out after every (muddy/nasty?) run.
If the noise does'nt go away (quickly) pull your brakes apart and inspect them.

Wider is better but taller is cooler!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Limited slip fluid WILL NOT hurt anything there are actually some OEM applications that recomend this, even though they have open diffs

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
5" lift, YJ front springs

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It probably won't hurt anything, however Mopar just changed their friction modifier. The older stuff, which was blue in color and stinks real bad, was suppose to be bad on bearing life. The new stuff, which is clear and dosn't stink, won't cause pre-mature bearing failure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.