Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it come about that time for some serious mods, we were out running some old deep snow trails well covered with ice underneath, anyhow I was bested on this one particular steep hill by a stock dakota on tame old goodyear wranglers, my cj is fairly well equiped with 33 inch BFG TA ko'S,2.5 INCH lift
rep 6000,but still has the cursed open diffs,so now I definitely am going to upgrade the diffs I am thinking of the lockright by power trax,any opinions on this,I consider this to be cost effective because I am not proficient at setting up diffs,ie.meshing pinion depth,etc.plus a jeep is no fun if you paying someone else to work on it.half the fun is just building them.

Tommybear
burning up the Ramsey in the deep NewBrunswick snow

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What you were bested by was a HEAVIER vehicle, something that sometimes helps in the conditions you described.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lock-Rites are definatly a great step up from an open differential and the performance on the street is not unbarable for most people and your 33's make the locker lock and unlock much smoother, still mud terains are a good idea because they tend to make less noise while cornering

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
"look Ma no doors!"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, go with a Detroit Locker in the rear instead of a LockRite. The install is pretty simple on a Model 20 because the shims are outboard of the bearings. All you need are a good dial indicator and a little patience. The only thing you are resetting in ring gear to pinion backlash.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.