Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, with renewed interestin the D44, spurred on by the fact that the new CTM joints can handle 38" tires, the D44 was bound to get some new engineering breakthroughs.
Here is one of the newest line of D44 products.
The steering linkage in any rock crawler, starts to get pretty cramped, when the axle is moved forward, and a hydraulic ram is added. The "go to" neccessesity of the rock solid D60, lead to solutions for the same problems, with designs, such as the "behind the diff tie rod" set ups. Well now the same type set up can be done on the D44.
this design is based on the Tie Rod Arms designed by Eric Ruhl. They are currently being produced by Roggy Enterprises, and Scott @ Rockstomper(the same as the beadlocks).
Because I use the 8 lug hubs, I also had to clock the brake brackets rearward 30 degrees. But for any other bolt pattern, only a little grinding is neccessary. You can see in the 1st pic that my calipers sit a little lower than stock.(the 1st pic also has the tie rod still attached to the front driver side arm, because I needed to drive it today, it is actually abandoned in the final configuration)

The linkages are 1 1/2" solid steel hardened rod for the tie rod, and 1 3/8" for the drag link, they are drilled and tapped for (left and right) 7/8" 1 ton TRE's. The linkages were made by Grady McCloud of Extreme Off Road(driver/builder of the Jackyl).

Here are some pics of the linkage, the hydraulics havent actually been welded into place yet, but you get the idea, of how sweet the geometry is.

What do you think?

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.

G

·
Good Job Man You have Major skills. I have watched you Jeep get built for some time and It is the best built i have ever seen fot its purpose. Copngrats. SCRAm

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Thats a pretty sweet looking setup Jeff . Hey are you running Bilstein shocks now ? Looks like it .

Jeff /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mel,
The cut brakes work very well,...if I pump the brakes propperly before I set them. With the big 3/4 ton calipers at all the corners, my brakes need to be pumped a couple of times then set, so that they have ample pressure in the line. Durring the competition at calROCS, I saw a great oppurtunity on course number "4" to make a sharp cut that was giving everyone fits. I had to hang down off of a rock face, set the passenger side brake, and cut the front over to my right before releasing. Well the brake didnt hold and dropped off and did a3 ft freefall right onto the nose of the Jeep, and snapped my hydraulic lines to my ram. The rest of the day was very long. So yes they do work, but I am gonna go with a rear drive shaft brake, that Jesse, from High Angle Drive Lines, is producing. It should be much more simple, to grab a lever, and slam the right stick forward, than the current tap dancing set up.

Jeff
89 YJ

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scram,
Thanks for the compliments, judging by the last round of words, I had with the apartment manager, Im affraid she doesnt see it that way though.
D-Dog,
Are you fabbing up some home brew hydraulic set ups or the AGR Rock Ram system?
I sure do love mine, its amazing how strong they are, if you get them set up propperly.
I was wheeling, last weekend with the Grady McCleod and his rig "The Jackyl" (actually Kelly Clifford was getting some wheel time in it before the Womens event this months), and he Taco'd the AGR ram, driving it off the flat bed. I think I much preffer the oversized piston on the homebrew versions.
Jeff,
Those are the 5100 Nitrogen Charged Bilsteins, I love em. I was maxing out the R9012's up front. So I went with the 5100's and added some cantilever in the front shock mount geometry. The Bilsteins have a good 1 1/2" - 2" length advantage over the 9012's. I also like there positive force as they keep the front very well planted on steep climbs. (the Bilstiens have a constant downward force of about 25lbs, as compared to the nuetral dampening of the Ranchos). I may even try a set in the rear.

Jeff
89 YJ

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Yep the Bilsteins are great . I used them on my Z71 , had over a 100,000 miles on them and still going strong . Also had them on my previous CJ and they were the only shock that would hold up . That Jeep was a real trail basher too . I used to jump that thing 8 - 10 feet in the air on a regular basis /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif .

Jeff /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: D44 Steering Linkage(not your basic high steer

Wayne,
The tie rod will be about 1 1/2" above the leafs, after I rotate the pinion upward, later today. I have been needing to rotate the pinion upward, but I couldnt do it, with the old steering linkage, because it would have put the tie rod into the front of the springs.
By the end of the day I should have all of the bugs worked out. Ill take it out and test it tomorrow.

Jeff
89 YJ

·
Registered
523 Posts

Jeff are you now running complete hydraulic steering? or are you using some sort of linkage to your steering box? If it is full hydraulic do you drive it on the road? and how does it drive at speed? what kind of steering box are you using? orbital or saginaw? Post some pics of the front of your rig if you would? thanks, Wade

76 CJ, well what is left of it! working on my YJ-7. YJ frame, YJ tub, 2" BDS SOA 3/4 ton D44 F and 14FF rear

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I am still using a drag link and tie rod steering sytem. I use a 1 ton Chevy with Hydro boost saginaw pump, and a standard Sag steering box. I run a remote reservoir in conjunction with the stock reservoir, and in line with a 15"x10" 2 core tranny cooler. The system holds about a gallon of fluid, including the volume that the 2"x8" hydraulic ram retains. It handles my steering requirements without absolutely no problem at all(You could move a house with my steering set up).
here are a few more pics from the hydro ram install today.
All I have left to do, is rotate my pinion angle up tomorrow morning, and I will move the front axle forward another 1" at the same time.

Jeff
89 YJ

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Hahahaha, I might add, that when you go to a behind the diff tie rod set up, and you attach the hydraulic ram to that tie rod,......then you want to be sure that the hydraulic lines are reversed also. I magine Jeepchick and my surprise when I said "OK, turn it slowly to the right,....NO!!!,I said too the right"...."But I am turning it to the right" she says. "Hmmmmmm we have a slight problem then", "shut it off"(scratching my head????????).
Everything works OK now, though. Hahahaha, Oooooops

Jeff
89 YJ

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

Did the same thing, but by myself (I refuse to beg my family for help /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif ). Put it all together, jumped in the jeep and fired it up, turned the wheel and the pump SCREEMED. You'd most likely bend one of the rods or rip the arm off if you put any muscle into the wheel.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Oh yeah, the ram could effortlessly tear the linkage or the steering box to shreads, if pushed. Luckily Kathy was just lightly turning the wheel, but even with just a light touch, the ram was easily winning the battle. It doesnt appear to have caused any damage.

Jeff
89 YJ

·
Registered
523 Posts

What did you get your steering ram off of? Did you modify your steering box to accept the hoses or buy one? How do you know where to drill? thanks H8, as always looks good. Wade

76 CJ, well what is left of it! working on my YJ-7. YJ frame, YJ tub, 2" BDS SOA 3/4 ton D44 F and 14FF rear

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

The steering ram was purchased on line at
www.northerntool.com
It is an 8" x 2" hydraulic ram. Cost: about $80
The end cap and the sector shaft cap are tapped for a 3/8 NPT fitting. Buy a couple of 3 ft long 3/8 2 wire hydraulic hoses. Cost: About $10 each, get (4) 90 degree fittings. Run you return line from the steering box to through a tranny cooler before returning to the reservoir,(both for cooling and for extra voume), (I also run a 20 oz remote reservoir).
Run the lines from the tapped positions in the box to the ram. Fab some mounts....Done!

I also built a skid plate to protect the steering box, since I moved my steering box forward about 3". It seemed a bit exposed.

Jeff
89 YJ

·
Registered
523 Posts

Jeff,
Does the end cap on your steering box come off? How do I tap and drill it without getting shavings in the steering box? I see I can take the top plate off but can't see any way for the end cap to come off. Also, What brand is that ram? I went to Northern's website and they had several hyd. rams. Just want to know which is better than the other. Some of them looked like the clevis' were kinda dinky on them. Your's looks pretty stout.

Also, Would it be possible to use your ram without the draglink (link from box to wheel)for a total hydraulic steering setup? and still use a saginaw box versus an orbital box? I am thinking later down the road if I decide to move the front axle forward too far to use a linkage type steering. Thanks, your knowledge is invaluable. Wade

1 - 19 of 19 Posts