Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's come time to slap my flat-top knuckles with new, awesome, Parts mike steering arms on. There's a split ring that goes on the upper balljoint stud and must be torque down to I believe 50 ft/lbs. I'd have to double check. The book says there's a special tool required to do it and is found at most auto parts stores. Well, not the ones I've gone too:) Any ideas? Pontiac said all I need is an old socket and a grinder. Well, I guess I'll do this, or atleast try this if none of you have any other ideas. I just think trying to grind 4 points into a socket with a 4.5" grinder will be quite tedious. Thanks!

Now search friendly!

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Here is a snap-on socket to compare with. I forgot to look at their price and can't log back in yet.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's not too bad of price, I might be like a dog and chase after a Snap-On truck;)

EDIT: Snap-On's website says it's $14.80 for the socket. I'll try the grind method first, then chase a Snap-On truck around the block if it doesn't work/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Now search friendly!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
This is why I try to acquire the tools and parts in advance of starting a job.I just got one from 4 wheel drive hardware but it is for the stock front CJ ball joints .although there is always something to go wrong.You know how that goes.
You spend as much time trying to rig things up as the job should take in the first place.I hate when that happens.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This one seems to fit over the ballstud, but lets hope it doesn't thread too far down before it torque's out.

Now search friendly!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts