Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I'm doing ball joints on the front D30 on the YJ, and I've never done this particular job before. The knuckle is off, and I'm off to pick up the joints and press-tool today.

As I'm reviewing Advance Auto Parts' website, I see the lower joint has a snap ring on it? Nothing about that in my book - (it's a Chilton's, but...)

I did a search, and found the stuff on the Harbor freight press tool, and some other comments, but not really anything about snap rings / retaining rings - whether they are there or not. It looked like a simple press-in-press-out.

Also, can anyone comment on the split-ring setting? It looks like it needs to be set to a certain dimension? Book says .206" ??

I guess I was thinking this was simpler. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks for any insight.
Pete

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I believe the ring is only there to help you make sure the joint is seated and not pressed in too far. No need to remove them before pressing in or out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
The ball stud will stop when it's seated.

The snap ring is now standard on the newer style 'Standardized' ball stud joints, no matter if yours came with them orignally or not.

Friction fit will keep most ball studs in place.

The snap ring will not fit in early spindles without machining away some of the material, which is NEVER a good idea.

Later models had clearance for the snap ring and it's a good idea to use it if you can.

Rust, repeated removal and Excessive machining tolerances will 'Over Size' the hole for the ball stud, and the snap ring will insure it stays in place.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok - took it all apart last night. For those who care:

My axle housings are from a 1990 YJ. The TOP ball joint comes out the TOP of the axle. The BOTTOM ball joint comes out the BOTTOM of the axle.

No snap rings, no adjustable split-nuts. I have the new ball joints, and they are all assembled. Unless I'm missing something, it looks like a simple press-out, press-in.

Should reassemble in the next few days.
Thanks for the help.
Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts