Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am wanting to convert from my 260's to 297's. moser seems a little confused on the issue. rob said no prob and then another guy wants me to send him an outer axle.

anyway the question is- will axles/297's from a 95 YJ fit into my 87YJ system? i am told the 95 came with 297's. especially will the outers work with my hubs? i am hearing different opinions on this one.

i am installing a detroit and want to keep the vacuum dis-co for now and install 297's.

thanks

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I believe that the 94-95 YJs did not have vacuum disconnects, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone wants to clarify this...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Superior makes some pretty reasonably priced axles for D30s to convert to 297s, you might want to check them out. BTW, the cheapest I found for the Superiors is at Trailquest.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
now that's a new one on me- i think they do. the TJ's don't have vacuum.

i am trying to convert from 260 to 297's without having to block-out my vacuum and be able to use my hubs/rotors. pat at drivetrain direct says the 94-95 swap will work but i have some other sources say it won't fit my hubs.i already have the driver side axle and am waiting for the pass side. i gave the axle to my mechanic and he will be attemping to install this week when he does the gears/locker.

just trying to resolve this if the 94-95 doesn't work so i can get on to another solution for 297's.

thanks locked-up

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey brad where's clint? is that your mug on there?

thanks- i just emailed superior to see if they can send me some alloy axles /297's that will fit my hubs.

all the forests are closed in az and i will be jones'n for some trails after i get these axles in

i just talked to john at trailquest. he said superior doesn't make axles/297's for the D30 yj- only the CJ's. he also said dana-spicer maakes what i want and apparently that is what DTD is selling me. maybe i gots what i need in transit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's Clint too, William Munny from "Unforgiven", probably my favorite Eastwood movie.
You talked to John at Trailquest? He's a pretty weird guy, isn't he. I bought my Dana 300 4:1 from him, he undercut everyone by $50 at the time. And to top it off he talked me out of parts I thought I needed, but he insisted I didn't, he could have made more money off of me, but honesty on his part won out. A little strange to talk to, though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thunderbolt and lightfoot/gauntlet tie for first here.
josey wales a close second

yeah john wanted $389 for the axles/joints from dana/spicer. DTD is charging $278. will have to wait and see if they will work.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Steve,
Your gonna have more money into that D30 than a grand waggy D44 swap, (with high steer), by the time you are finished. Oh and D44 come with 297 joints, and lockout hubs are about $65. Oh well, live and learn!

Outlaw Josie Wailes is my favorite.
The Good Bad and Ugly, Pale Rider and Unforgiven would be a three way tie for 2nd.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
living and learning- i'm doing both

i only wanted to travel in your footsteps. wasting cash on the 30 was in the mix on your journey wasn't it? at least i didn't dump $$ on the 35. i almost got the 9" but opted for the 8.8 after you bad-mouthed the "PLOW"

do you know the answer to my 260/297 question jeff?????????

any which way but loose

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I have heard that the axle shafts from a 95 could be used in an earlier version, but I have never seen it done.
Yeah I did go the D30 build up route, and it is not an entirely junky axle assembly, but it will be money in the trash at some point or another along your journey.
You will be very pleased with the F8.8.Let me call my freind who I recently swapped a D44 for his D30. If he still has the D30 I will get all the parts for you, for a VERY reasonable price.
Ill call him tomorrow since he wants me too install an SYE in his T case and a locker in his F8.8 sometime durring the week. Ill post the info or E mail you tomorrow PM.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
whoa jeff- hold on

i have already ordered the axle/joints from DTD but what pat there told me and what i have heard from other sources made me wonder who was right. i already have the drivers side and am waiting for the pass side coming from dana/spicer as it was out of stock at DTD.

my mechanic is going to install them if they work along with the gears/detroit. he's starting the 8.8 swap tomorrow.

what year is your buddies YJ-95?

rob moser told me he could sell me alloys/297's but when i called moser and talked to shane for the dims they would need, he was not sure if they could make the outers and that he had an in-depth discussion with his shop forman. shane wanted me to send him an outer or take pics of one with dims. this all sounded crazy to me coming from an expert axle house.

i posted this on the POR and jeep freak had an interesting comment on this- that the outers won't fit my hubs.

didn't think swapping from 260-297 was such a BITCH

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
"Didnt think swapping to 297 Joints would be such a bitch" ??? Did I mention that the Grand Waggy D44's come with 297 joints,
,..."sorry, I couldnt resist".

Yeah my freinds D30 is from a 95, he hasnt had any luck selling it, so I mentioned to him jokingly last week, that if he paid me $100, Id haul it away for him. In actuality he will give it to me if I ask for it.
Even, if you need it for borrowed parts to send to Moser let me know (I still have to make sure he has it though).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i could dig on having the axles/joints out of it for sure. don't need the whole assembly- would cost more for shipping than worth. if the axles/joints work from DTD- i will keep them and could use your buddies for spares. let me know if you can get it.

if only i had listened more on the waggy 44.........i have already bought the gears/detroit for the 30. they are sitting at my mechanics shop for install this week. he has the gears/detroit in the 8.8 and i bought the MORE kit/yoke-flange. allen at MORE is building the e-brake cables.

thanks jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.