Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother machined a set of d-ring brackets out of tool steel for me (very nice) They have a 1/4 inch hole in the corners.I plan on putting some 3/16 channel up front, and bolting them on.Will the 1/4 inch bolts be enough,or should I weld and bolt them on? Also, I saw some d-rings at my local ACE hardware store, what should I look for in a set of rings?

TOMMY PARKER

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
These are 5/8 D-rings I got from 4wd.com with 3/4 inch pin. I'd consider these to be the minimum. The mount is made out of 2 pieces of 1/4 inch angle welded back to back into a T. The hole thing is welded with 7018 rod. I'm not sure if I'd trust 1/4 bolts here. http://www.webphotos.com/member/7612/107569.jpg

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif No.....the 1/4" bolts will just hold long enough for things to get real critical, then they'll let go.....unless there is a slew of bolts......like six for example, and IF they are set up so that the force is carried by several bolts concurrently, no matter what the D-ring does. MY FAVORITE setup......and this is after YEARS of running trucks and rigs of all kinds/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif......is a D-Ring type of bracket, with a "D" shackle in it. That way if the hook on the chain is too fat to drop through and too tight.....like a chain grab hook....to hook to the D-ring itself, you can open the shackle and get the chain in there anyway. THE WHOLE IDEA of "D" rings is to have a pass-through for a chain which has a grab hook on it, or on the sides of trucks it is for passing the chain through so you have HALF-LINK adjustment on the load binders......you machinery haulin' cats out there will know what I'm talkin' about....AND to keep yahoos from using Uncle Jesse's best log chain by hooking the grab hooks over a 5/8" pin and splaying the hooks out. That makes Uncle Jesse real upset./wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif (and me too!/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif) OOOOO....BAD Jeeper! Bad Jeeper!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had him machine those brackets for me,since I no longer work in that particular shop anymore.Just like most machine shops,government jobs are becomeing more difficult to complete with the economy in the shape it is in.(every one is watching since everyone has nothing to do)My brackets are big enough to handle the ring itself, but the area where the bolts go are not big enough to drill a bigger hole.Can the brackets be bolted and welded,or should I ****can the brackets.Thanks for the reply's

TOMMY PARKER

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
If you could get us some pics with a ruler next to the thing I'm sure we could tell if it'll live or die. We're always good for that. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif How about welding the brackets to somewhat larger pieces of steel and bolting THEM to the bumper. Like for example you could weld to a section of angle iron and then place it on the edge of the bumper so it had a two-plane purchase./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts