Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the 258 which head bolts are studs on the carberator side from front to back? On mine from front to back:
1 bolt
2 stud
3 stud
4 stud
5 bolt
6 stud

Is this correct? How can I unscrew one of the studs without removing the head? Will locking 2 nuts together work?

Thanks

I need to move one of the studs to the front for my idler pulley's bracket to work.

1985 CJ7 4.2L, T-176, Dana 300, 2.5" lift, 31" tires, DurabakOn-Board Air

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Are you contemplating a transplant? You are going to rob a stud from another hole to use up front? Excuse me while I ask Minnie about that.....asks Minnie.....Oh, you say not even Mickey would do that? Well Tom, looks like the gang here at Disneyland thinks you need to buy a new stud and not risk taking one out of the head/block assembly and risk trouble./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
630 Posts
Do you have any studs that aren't being used to hold down the valve cover or some other bracket? If one is not being used, you can swap it with the bolt you want to do away with. Make sure you torque them to specs. The stud comes out by using a deep socket. The nut is part of the stud.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Come on Dave, Pluto thinks maybe a previous owner re-installed the bolts in the wrong place. So what could be wrong with correcting this error?/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For those of you who are interested, Head bolts are not available at major parts stores for the AMC 258. At the dealer a 7/16 head bolt stud is $16(for 1). After searching the junkyard I ended up at this Jeep only parts place that I really hate and paid $5(for 1). I will loosen all head bolts from middle out and then re-tighten to specs. I would like to thank Disneyland for all of the comments that forced me to do this the right way. I should have known all-thread wasn't the way to go, after all I already had some in the garage(Way to EASY).

Thanks,

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Glad you found one, my offer to send you one wouldn't have done much good because they went to
smaller head bolts in '82 or '83. I remembered that's why I couldn't reuse my '80 head on an '83 block.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif I wouldn't TOUCH the other head bolts if I wuz you......../wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I'm with CJDave-
Don't mess with the other bolts.
Just torque the new stud down.
If it is the # 11, put some sealer (this one goes into the water jacket) on it and torque it 5 lb. less than the spec of the others.
On older engines it is 85 lbs. with the # 11 going to only 80 lbs.

JAF

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why not touch the other bolts? I think the head was off this engine less than a year ago for some cylinder work. I loosened all the bolts from middle out and then re-torqued them to 85 ft-lbs. If I didn't do this wouldn't there be a chance of warping the head?

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Nope, it really doesn't work that way, and if you did loosen the bolts, the gasket may separate and begin leaking./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.