Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a question for you... What is a good rate to have a new set of CV joints installed? I tried the Nissan dealership (ha!) just to see what they would say. First he wanted to charge me $100 to run tests to "tell me exactly all that was wrong with the truck..." Yeah, right. He finally told me it would be $250 per side. Other places I checked wanted $150-200 per side. Then I found this place run by this guy and his father-in-law. Ol' boy said he couldn't do it Saturday when I brought it in because the Tennessee football game was about to start, but he could get to it first thing Monday. He charged $235 for BOTH SIDES for remanufatcured parts. That $235 is parts, labor, tax, everything. Anybody else think this is a good deal or a lemon or what? I checked the guys out and they are certified etc. and people say they do fairly good work.

Thanks for your help and I'll tell you how it comes out...

Kyle Smith, 87 PF XE-V6
Nissan Off-Road Webring
www.angelfire.com/tn/pathfdr87/ring.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually, 235 isnt that bad. I snapped my drivers front (went off like a shotgun) and they used re-mann'd parts on mine too. They have held up great, and is way cheaper than new factory parts. Heck go for it!

Happy Trails
Wade

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kyle,
I just had the boot replaced on the passenger side CV joint. It was done at a small independent garage that specializes in
imports, mainly Honda's. The mechanic commented that Pathfinder CV joints were harder to do than Honda. He charged
me $120 (Canadian) and I figure I got a good deal. Obviously replacing the joint is going to cost more.

Brewer
95 Pathfinder

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wondering if you replaced you cv joints because they are making a weird noise or what. My pathfinder is making a high pitch screeching noise every time I turn my wheels as hard as I can. It also does it alot when I go off a small drop off from a driveway. If you could tell me whether that is the problem you were having or not, it would help greatly.

Ruedpath

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like your steering stops are hitting, this is completely normal. You can put some grease on the stops on the lower A frame if the noise gets to you, but you aren't hurting anything but leaving them dry.

Bernie
'86 720 "The Stain"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts