Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago there were several posts on mig welders and alot of good info was put out. So lets talk torches. I've had a set
for about 10 yrs now and they are invaluable when working on vehicles. I switched to propane instead of acetelyne and they
have been great. My point is if you want a set of torches and want to save a few bucks try propane. Besides if you run low on
gas just steal one from the barbeque and your back in action.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Ah......but Lindy.....you skipped over the most important advantage of the heavy gasses like propane and MAPP (Methylacetylepropadiene).....you can cut through LAMINATED STUFF!!! That's why junk men like propane...it'll cut through cow****, rust, stacked sheets, and galvanize./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
ive been thinking my next purchase would be a nice Oxy/acetylene rig..
How much? what brand ( Victor obviously , any others ?)

now you want to confuse me with PROPANE? please explain that to me? not like a plumbers torch right?

I want to be able to weld thin stuff, and braze, and cut...all that fun stuff
How safe is it to store in my carport? Ill get a cart, but do I need to chain it to the wall or what?

thanks!

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a Jeep T18a CJ or truck!!

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Harris, what do they cost and where do I find them? Ive never heard of them! cool, something else to check into..

and welding is a drawback? ugly? hard? not doable? what do you mean by welding being a drawback?

thanks for the info!

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a Jeep T18a CJ or truck!!

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
You can braze with propain but not weld. It's too "dirty".
Causes quite a bit of porosity. On the bright side you will not do a whole lot of OAW welding. Mostly cutting , heating(bending) , brazing. I doubt that you would weld anything structural with a torch. It will "bubblegum" it together w/ propain but the welds will be rather brittle.

I knew everything when I was 16......How come I'm so stupid now?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
how much $$ does a cheapo propane cutterr run? I need one for the garage. I always borrow a friends plasma cutter when I need to cut (yes I know, I'm spoiled!).

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif That's another advantage to propane, the tanks can be off somebody's vacation trailer, nothin' special. The little "B" oxygen tanks can be bought very cheap, and for hobby work, will last quite a while. Don't misunderstand here, propane is NOT the do-all gas for torches. It has it's limitations, and takes a little more skill in some areas. I personally use acetylene for gas here in my home Jeep lab, but when I had a service company, we used acetylene on the trucks and strictly MAPP in the shop because MAPP is a real performer on a rosebud heating tip, and for cutting rusty stuff. The torch tips are COMPLETELY different acetylene to propane or MAPP.Ah have burnt plenty of both. Yep.....plenty./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.