Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all i ordered a custom 4x4 winch bumper last night with the winch blockoff plate till i get a winch. I got the d-ring kit as well. I have heard great things about theses things and was wondering what ya all though and if ya ever saw one. I bought it for mostly just the shear fact that i love those d-ring shackles it will be nice to go from 0 up front tow points to 2 nice ones. PLus a winch bumper is only the begining on the upgrades you need for a winch and i am even closer now. I will have a winch bumper,and i have the 180 amp alternator and upgraded wire size already. All i have left is New air box kit,another battery,and of coarse the winch hehe. cya and take care i live in Maine it might hit 90 degrees today man thats hot for here and this time of year. SCRAM

The moment you are born you start to die so buy A Jeep and play hard!!!!!

It's All Out or Nothing At All!!!!!!!

· Registered
3,412 Posts
It's supposed to hit 90 here in Philly today; it was 90 in spots around here yesterday. Very unusual for early May./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scram tell me how it works out. Im planning on gettin the rear bumper since i ripped mine off yesterday wheelin. But I guess thats what I get for skipping school to go off roading. Good Luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will do bigBlue. SCRAM

· Registered
643 Posts
Hey scram,
I've got a Custom 4x4 complete winch bumper with brush guards and D-rings. Overall they are outstanding products.

A few notes though:

1) If you get a brush guard, the headlight inner guards (within the frame) can't be removed separately. The entire headlight frame must be removed. This is important if your state laws restrict anything in front of your headlights.

2) Surface protection (powder coating) is far from adequate. I have rust forming in many spots after 7 months. Initially I thought the rust was limited to the exterior surfaces. This could be easily explained by the constant road debris over the winter which would be difficult to really eliminate via surface treatments. However, last week I noticed many rust spots forming within the winch box which is totally protected from impacts.

I've already accepted that I will have to deal with the rust and then find some kind of exterior overlay (plastic, etc) to insult the exterior surface from road debris.

The powder coating is very well done, but the underlying rust protection is apparently very weak.

Hope this helps,
Kent

94 XJ (purchased July 00)
Skids, XD9000I, Lights, Bumpers, CB/Ham, Roof Racks, ARB compressor, Duo-Optima's, 200 amp alt, and too much more to list!
These trucks rock!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ty and as far as looks go i wouldnt mind repainting it every year or so. I think i will get there rock rails next. I c you have dual optimas and a warn 9000. That is the same set up i will be running. Where did you put the other optima? I was going to get rusty's air box kit and ut it where the stock one was. With the winch ,bumper,and extra battery how much lift did you lose? I need the sye to go any higher but will get it if i have too. I think 6" would be ok to run 34 x 9.50" swampers. There only just over 33" tall. SCRAM

· Registered
643 Posts
Hey Scram,
The stock air box must be removed to make room for the second battery. I did pretty much what you mentioned. I had a custom battery tray fabricated, rotated the throttle body intake tube about 160 degrees and then ran a Rusty's air tube. I used thin strand 1 gauge wire, hooked into a battery isolator with military connectors.

With the remaining space left from the OE air intake I installed an ARB compressor.

Hope this helps,
Kent

Skids, XD9000I, Lights, Bumpers, CB/Ham, Roof Racks, ARB compressor, Duo-Optima's, 200 amp alt, and too much more to list!
These trucks rock!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ty I was wondering what kind of psi the arb puts out i would like to have onboard air and that would be a great way to go incase i go ARB in the front. Will it do more than just tires or is that it? THANX SCRAM

· Registered
643 Posts
As I recall the ARB compressor is rated to about 120 psi. While I've used it to "air up" the truck a few times, I really got for the lockers (not installed yet) and to air up my bikes.

From my experiences to "air up" your truck quickly you probably should mount a 2.5 to 5.0 gallon tank for air. Then you can air up quickly. I've found a 2.5 tank I like, but I can't figure out where to mount it, where it will be totally out of the way.

Hope this helps,
Kent

These trucks rock!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got my bumper today and it seems well built. I am going to paint the inside of it before i install it and c if that helps with rust. Looks like i have some work to do this weekend. I will most likly install my radiator finially lol. CYA AND HAVE A NICE WEEKEND. I AM off to the lubec mud runs.(to watch) SCRAM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.