Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After running aired-down with warped rotors for a few miles
, my front tires were cupped pretty good. I rotated them to the rears when I did the brake job, then went wheeling the next day.

Now it feels like I threw a wheel-weight on the trail, So I'm wondering if the cupped rears can be re-balanced, or if I have to wait until they smooth out?

G

·
I don't think running aired down w/warped rotors would cause this.

When you say cupped do you mean they've got almost like flat spots from bad shocks, or they're just worn unevenly from one edge to the other? Or....

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Are they cupping clear accross the tread, or just on both outsides or just on one outside? Mine cup on the ouside of each front tire due to the camber being about 1.5-2 degrees positive (top of the tire leans out just a tad).

G

·
It sounds like a camber or toe problem.... it's certainly possible that running aired down could exaggerate the problem, depending on exactly what the problem is.... I would think toe is more likely here as airing down should actually help a camber problem because it'll provide a flatter footprint.

Anyway, I wish you luck. IME once your tires are worn unevenly tire shops use it as an excuse to not even try to balance them (granted, it will make them harder to balance in most cases). They'd rather sell you new tires and offer to charge a bunch of labor to replace front end pieces. But along those lines you might consider trying to find the root of the problem (I'm trying soooo hard not to bash TTB here LOL).

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As for the cause of the cupping, I know I need ball joints, tie-rod ends, dropped pitman arm, and alignment since my springs have settled. All of which are in the works.

I just wanted to see if anyone else had experience with balancing cupped tires. I have a trip to take tomorrow and wondered if it would be worth it to stop by the tire shop today.

G

·
My experience has been that they can be corrected to some degree, IF IF IF you find a shop willing to try and a guy/girl who knows what he's doing.

I had some front tires that were pretty badly unevenly worn, had them balanced and it was terrible. I took them in and complained, first the manager gave me a bunch of excuses about how the tires were worn. Then he said he'd try again, this time a different guy did it (this guy has worked at this Big O for some time), and they were much improved.

Exactly what he did I dunno, 'cause as I understand it the new balancing machines pretty much do everything for you, but I'm here to tell you the operator still plays an important role.

So, you could certainly try, but prepared for worst case: poor results and a slightly lighter wallet, and keep in mind tire shops are there to sell tires

1 - 9 of 9 Posts