Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an 07 ram 1 ton with the 6.7 cummins. The turbo is squealing like a stuck pig. I'm sure its the bearings going out, does anyone know if there is a rebuild kit available yet or do I have to replace the whole turbo. Everything is stock on the truck as I pull 30k lbs almost every day. No money to upgrade. Thanks!
Theta

· Registered
11 Posts
First of all, how many miles on the truck. If it's a 6.7 it's probably under warranty, they have a 5 yr. 100k mile powertrain on them. You should be able to get that covered. If not go to high tech turbo's website High Tech Turbo and check them out. They can rebuild and they are a reliable company, and do exellent work.

If you have any other questions let me know. I can point you in many directions for the diesels if needed.

Rob

· Registered
38 Posts
The main problem is that semi engines are big,so are the turbos.
Fitting the turbo in a small engine bay will require body work.
Also custom manifolds,exhaust,and few others.
It will be cheaper to buy a complete turbo system to the pick up you want to modify.

· Registered
103 Posts
First of all, how many miles on the truck. If it's a 6.7 it's probably under warranty, they have a 5 yr. 100k mile powertrain on them. You should be able to get that covered. If not go to high tech turbo's website High Tech Turbo and check them out. They can rebuild and they are a reliable company, and do exellent work.

If you have any other questions let me know. I can point you in many directions for the diesels if needed.

Rob
I second RNKBURG on the warranty. Try and get it.

If you can't then look for a reputable turbo repair shop.

I had to replace mine on the 5.9l HO Cummins a year ago, but when I contacted Cummins, there was a 4 week back order on a new or re-man turbo. I found a local turbo shop and they had it done in 2 days.

Please let us know what you end up doing. It will help others here in the future when they find a similar problem.

Good luck!

· Registered
4,199 Posts
i know this is shot in the dark but ive heard many 6.7s with squealling pullies.

my dads 6.7 has 170k of actual hard towing miles like what you do and still not turbo issues to date.

my 5.9 on the other hand is making power intermitly and well ill live with it since it still run okay for daily driver acasional to rig.

· Premium Member
9 Posts
The 6.7 should be a VGT turbo, variable geometry turbo. Not something I would recommend trying to rebuild at home. If it is out of warranty your best bet is a local shop. Removal and install you can do at home with some basic tools. Getting the oil return tube back in and seated is the hardest part. If the exhaust side oil seal goes it will pump your oil out your exhaust, not a good plan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.