Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1848002614

well he is not the first to put semi tires on a light truck but this one actually looks nice, though WEIRD

how would that type of tire ride under a bronco? can you adjust for its stiffness by running 5-10 psi? seems like they'd last FOREVER since they're designed for such huge trucks. i read they are bias ply, which it appears most semi tires are, but how do theirs stay round so well considering the amount of problems people have out of bias mud tires?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Those are radial tires. Most semis run radials now a days. I haven't sen bias ply tires on an 18 wheeler in years. They still run bias plys on shipping container trailers cuz the theft rate is so high. U-Haul ran bias tires up until recently. Now they use radials with their name branded onto them so they can be easily identified.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, that's even better. am i crazy for even thinking about such a thing or would running low pressure really help the ride? and what does a tire like that fetch new or retreaded? there's something awesome about having a 24.5" rim

·
Registered
975 Posts
Not sure about those in particular but the 315/80R22.5's I use on the buses are $375-$500 each, depending on brand. Recaps can be had for about $175 each. I knew a guy selling 24.5's that fell off a truck for $170 each, so you can imagine what they go for new. Lower pressure does make for a softer ride (considering they're on a 42,000 lb. vehicle), but they don't recomend running less than 95 psi for the same reason the Firestones blew out on the Explorers. Less pressure = more heat and "POW!!!".....instand road alligator.
I run 104 in the front, 92 on the drive axle and 88 on the tag axle with good results. It makes a difference cuz the passengers complain about the ride when the tires are aired up to mfg. specs., but on a 6500 lb. truck, even 75 psi would make it feel like a skateboard.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
holy crap that alot of money!
...and 95psi?! not that i doubt you of course, but damn!
And just out of curiosity, how many miles do you get on those tires?
Im guilty of looking at semis and contemplating putting those tires on a rtuck one day, but i figured theyd run around 300 tops! wow!

G

·
I'm sorry but I don't like it. It would probably wheel all right in certain ground conditions only because the tires are so huge, but I don't think it would do any thing in mud except be the only truck to touch bottom although it would still be stuck!
Somebody seemed to like it though because it is no longer available...probably a cash offer from somebody who wanted one of those on road four by's that once a month you lock in the hubs and drive it a mile to keep it lubed...not a daily four by that sees offroad as much as on road!

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i agree, but those arent really the tires i'm talking about. here are the specific "semi" tires i'm referring to:
http://www.usa6x6.com/tires_oms.html
http://www.usa6x6.com/tires_20inch.html

as you can tell, these have PLENTY of biting lugs to churn up the mud
i wouldnt put them on a rockcrawler though unless it was HEAVY...though you can see that the Avalanche Assassin runs them on the rocks

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
one more thing just ocurred to me... isnt the heat that causes blowouts caused by sidewall flex? even at 10psi, a bronco isnt going to flex the sidewall of a load range G tire much, if any! or are they not really that stiff, just really strong belts to hold the extra pressure?

·
Registered
975 Posts
The tires I use are load range J. The sidewalls are soft. When new ones get mounted, before they air them up, the weight of the rim alone makes them bubble out at the bottom. Most of them are highway tread and wouldn't grip in mud anyway. I get anywhere between 70,000 and 100,000 miles out of a tire. The tires muddy's talkin about are military truck tires. Whole nother ball game. Those are bias ply cuz their top highway speed is onlt 55MPH. You'd need custom rims for them and a whole lot of fender trimmin

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i dont know why they are rated to only 55mph (some are 65) because, believe it or not, all 3 of those michelin truck tires are RADIALS! the biggest issue with running them on a street vehicle, assuming the 55mph thing is just a technicality for fully loaded trucks, would be their weight. most ~40" truck radials appear to be around 130 lbs each, so definitely more than a 40" TSL but they are RADIAL so they shouldnt vibrate on the highway too badly and flatspots shouldnt be a problem either. the only one that i'd be willing to run on the bronco is the 335/80/R20 XZL because it is load range F and is rated at 65 mph, which i'm sure could be pushed higher on a "light" rig like the bronco. it calls for a 20x11 rim, which i think i saw in the sunday paper listed under "bling bling low profile".
unfortunately usa6x6 doesnt have that size listed
i just sent Daniel an email so hopefully he can find some in that size for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts