Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a thought. What if I took the heat element out of an industrial strength hair dryer, then installed the blower into the intake of my 94 YJ. A resister would have to be put into the wiring for the blower motor that could be adjusted to react to the amount that you push the fuel pedal.
It was just a crazy thought that I had./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif
What do yall think?

Kiley /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
94YJ
Alittle better than stock.
And now with a future Jeeper on the way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yea, your right.....crazy.........
First off, the motor in the hair dryer is 120 volts AC...the jeep is 12VDC. Second, the hair dryer 'might' be able to supply enough air at idle....after that its only going to be in the way of the air being sucked in. Hair dryers have no 'boost'. A super charger or turbo charger will supply air pressures from 8 to 20+ PSI of boost. A hair dryer will be lucky to give you .01 PSI...how hard is it to stop the air comming out of the dryer?....now try and do that to a turbo charger...u loose your hand...that is why turbo chargers run off the exhaust and super chargers off the belt....it takes a lot of power.

Please don't take this as a slam on your idea....at least your are thinking....Believe it or not, those science and engineering classes can teach you something.

Keep thinking......

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't worry I wasn't offended by your post./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
It was just a thought./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif
Besides I never took any engineering classes, just a basic physics in high school.
I understand how a supercharger works with the belts to drive it but how does a turbo use the exhaust to force air into the intake?

Kiley /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
94YJ
Alittle better than stock.
And now with a future Jeeper on the way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you are not that far off in your thinking. look at ram air, you really dont get much boost, but what you do is eliminate the need for the engine to draw the air in.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I doubt a hair dryer would generate enough air to be noticable, but I kinda experienced home made ram air on a 31 Ford Model A. The carb on that car is down draft and the tank was plugged up a bit and we could not get it to idle just right. We did find out by accident that if you force air in the tank, the fuel would flow better. I know ram air is different but what we did is sit on the fender of the Model A and cup our hand over the gas filler and a tank of air with a nozzle on it, forced air into the tank, the car actually revved alot higher. It was fun for a while but you couldn't really make right turns or the person working the air would fall of the car. Hmmm maybe you could shove a nozzel in the tank of a CJ and rig up an air pedal or something, or mount a person to the swing out tire carrier.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The turbo uses the force of the exhaust to spin a small turbin that in turn pushes air into the intake. Turbos are very efficient...however, their output depends on the engine so there is a lag between the time you push on the gas and the exhaust is putting out enough to increase the boost. Most turbos are limited to about 8-12 lbs of boost.

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif "Hot Rodders" of the model "A" era used a gas cap with a shraeder valve (like a tire has) in it and a hand air pump tp build pressure for steep hills and more power. Interestingly enough, the WWII airplanes had turbochargers in some cases. We had no high-temp space age materials so they ran the exhaust outside the engine nacelle for several feet to cool it and then back in to the turbo. Just think of a turbo as two water wheels on the same shaft....the water spins one wheel...it turns the shaft...and the wheel on the other end can PUMP water by it's rotary action. They hand pumped racers for YEARS to keep them in fuel. Before we had really good material, the fabric-insert diaphrams in fuel pumps were the achilles heel of motordom. Heck, I STILL find myself thinking "fuel pump" when thinking about taking a long trip, but they rarely go out before 100K anymore./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

· Registered
6,784 Posts
Tell him to get a couple of Garrett Air Research TO4-B turbos, a split pulse exhaust manifold, Two holley blue pumps and regulators, two 650CFM holley vac secondaries (For draw through) or two 650 CFM double pumpers (For blow through or boost boxes) and a good dyno, and I'll buy the beer and come over!
This arrangment on a 208 CID small block made 900 HP on the dyno in 1973!
Scared the hell out of the other big money Indy teams in '73 when Smokey Yunick raced it...
Think what he could do with modern materals and a 350 CID engine... (Dear Santa....)

· Registered
1,419 Posts
Try this: At the local you pull it is a late 80 ford thunderbird with the turbo 4 cly. this place sells motors like this $150 everyday. replace the ford turbo equipment onto you jeep engine. It would take some fabication with the manifolds

brownbagg </font color=red>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.