Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the torque converter affect the crawl ratio? I'm trying to find my overall gear ratio and need to know if I should factor in the torque converter.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
yes it does.....usually averages about 3:1 off-idle torque. this multiplication does taper off as your RPMs increase.

multiply it with your first gear tranny ratio, then your low range(tcase), and gear ratio

ex, my truck:

4L60E, 1st gear = 3.06
tq conv.(est. avg.) = 3.0
NP241 tcase = 2.72
gear ratio = 3.42

3.06 x 3.0 x 2.72 x 3.42 = 85.39

...thank you Fourwheeler mag /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Shorts <-- its not what you think...and don't ask what it is /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Shorts....Im not saying your wrong with that figure but that is a ratio that alot of jeep guys work very hard to get and only get it that low after adding a second case. A friend of my unlces just put in a double T-case and is running 6something gears and is only down to 102:1.

When I just went to the 4-lo.com site and plugged in all the #'s you just used it came out to 28:1 @ 2000RPM and 6mph. Now that doesn't do anything about the converter but I doubt you really get that much.

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
yeah, without the 3:1 from the tq. converter, the #s worked out around 28-ish.

2000rpms and 6mph??? /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

but the converter has got to figure in....is there any way to figure out exactly how much?

Shorts <-- its not what you think...and don't ask what it is /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
ok....there's not a way to figure in the effective ratio of tq converter /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.