Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I know someone posted something about removing the plug and connecting the wires, a little while back, but I wasn't clear on the location. Could someone please give me a detailed description of where it is. Thanks a lot.

Jeff

· Registered
4,973 Posts
Look at that post about idle problems. The CPS is located on the bellhousing, drivers side. If you look back by the firewall where the engine and transmission bolt up you will see it, it's a real pain to take off. The connector is up by the valve cover.

89 XJ/lots of homemade mods...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have any of you others got around to changing it yet? Did it help? I havent had $[censored] for time. SCRAM

It's All Out or Nothing At All!!!!!!!

· Registered
3,412 Posts
Jeff, your 2.8L engine doesn't have a CPS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would answer why it is hard to find. Is there something I can do to stop it from stalling? It does it spuratically at low rpms. I think it could be that the idle is not set correctly. At what RPM do peoples 2.8L XJs idle at? Mine is around 700 I think. Thanks.

· Registered
3,412 Posts
Jeff, does it idle smoothly or do you have to goose it to keep it running? Do this check: take the air cleaner cover off and then start the engine. With it idling, take a clean rag and stuff it into the carb choke throat.(That's the closest hole to the front of the engine. If the engine is tight, no vacuum leaks, the engine should stall and die almost right away. If it doesn't, then you have a large vacuum leak or a lot of little ones./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmm..guys, I tried this one last night......and I wiggled the plug and and the wires and it still ran the same. I even unpluged it to try and start it, and I just made sure it was the right plug....the engine didn't start, and it is the only one in the area you described....I guess this isn't my idle problem....I'll have to look elswherer i supose.......maybe new plug wires, and distributor cap?....i'll let you guys know.
thanks.
-Aaron

uuh......is this like really happening and stuff?

· Registered
2,680 Posts
mudslide,

The Crank Position Sensor uses the teeth of the flywheel to tell the computer, the ECM, where the piston are in the engine. Well, not really, but kind of.

The CPS is on EFI engines only, since it is a sensor that is coordinated to maximize the efficiency for how much fuel an injector distributes, and when the spark is supposed to occur. And this is all based on your flywheel position because the CPS reads what tooth it's positioned at. The tooth count is what is used to time injection and the spark. A lot of electrical timing is based off of the principle.

If I didn't have a Jeep, I wouldn't have a life.

'88 MJ SporTruck
Rebuilt 2.5L: 40 over rings, 10 on crank, 10 on bearings
nearing 400K

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.