Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1984 CJ-7 and the passenger side door has a crack on the interior of it. The crack is just below the vent-window (I guess thats what it is called) and it is about 1.5 inches in length. Is this common? What could have caused it? Should I just bend it back and weld it? Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Every CJ hard door I've seen has this crack. Some are long, some are short, but they all have it. It is from the top of the door flexing against the seal with no real support for the window frame. This crack originates where the vent window is attached to the structure of the door. I've been told by a CJ guru that this stress point was designed into the door so that a dealer could tell how many times the door was opened/closed by measuring the length of the crack (humor). I know guys have fixed them, but I dont know the success rate. I would imagine you would have to eliminate the stress point, or reinforce the area so that it is stronger than the force being put on it. (All four of my doors, originals, and replacements, have theese cracks.)

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an 83 CJ-8 with the same problem. Cracks in both doors at the same place. Somebody tried to weld them up before I got on it but the crack remains. Best would be to weld reinforcment over it or do what I have done for the past 2 years...ignore it. It's not really hurting anything, does not affect reliablity or performance, and probably doesn't affect safety.

Bakes 83 CJ-8

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got that crack on my Jeep's door also. The way I fixed it was to take the hard doors off, put them in a corner of the garage, and put the soft doors on. Easiest and cheapest fix for me. Actually I put the soft top on one day (a few years ago) and I've been too lazy to take it off and put the hard top back on. My advise is to just ignore it.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the same cracks in my hard doors. After reading the prior replies, I think I'm just gonna ignore them.

Bone stock rigs: '81 CJ7, '96 ZJ. Moab every summer!

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
live with the crack..i am so used to seeing it, it looks funny without it
i welded it up one time, it came back..put a cup holder there...

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.