Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember there are no stupid questions only stupid people. But, then that would mad me..... Well anyway I need to know how much oil to fill a 258 after an oil change. The Haynes says 6 quarts, but the dipstick shows over full after about 5.
Now, When I got this thing the prev. owner had just put in a rebuilt motor, but didn't have anything on it but the manifolds. So, I used a dipstick out of an Eagle with a 258. Shouldn't this be the same dipstick or do they use a different pan?? Should I go to the full mark or pour in 6 quarts and remark the dipstick??
Also, I was getting a little nervous about my oil gauge jumping around. New sender and I put in an idiot light that does not come on while running. Any ideas.

I also used a tranny dip stick out of the Eagle also. I'm not sure what tranny they use, but looked to have the same pan shape and the tube was in the same place. Will this work?

Finally, my Volt meter suddenly went up to 16 volts, then went back and forth between 14.5 and 16. When I got out to check it with a hand held volt meter it went back to 14.5 v and has stayed there since. What gives??

Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Are you getting a full reading before or after you start it? Remember, you just spun on an empty filter that'll hold another quart.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was after I had fired it up. After filling it, I thought it would drop down and it did, but it still looked to be about 1 quart too many. Now I need to change the oil again since its been about 100 miles of break in.
Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's no dent in the pan. I guess the AMC Eagle is just different. Who knows.
Any idea about the tranny dip stick?

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
6 quarts in my '85. The first time I changed it I put in 5 and it looked full. I added the 6th quart and it barely moved. Full at 6 quarts. I bet the AMC doesn't have as large a pan as the CJ.

You better get your alternator checked, if it is putting out that many volts it will ruin your battery very quickly. It should put out 13.8-14.0 max.

Tom

1985 CJ7
http://4WheelDriveWeb

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
6 in mine...even though the guy who had it before me ran 8 quarts......thats how much was in it the day I got it and changed the oil....it HAD a rear main seal leaking so I think he just kept er' filled up!!!

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger (or dumber).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Sounds like 6 is the magic number. I have the Jeep Bible by Granville King and in it there is a chart that says 5, but everything else says 6. Oh Well.

Anybody know if the Eagle uses a 904 also?
Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts