Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I asked something about this a while ago, but now I think I can describe what is happening better. It's in my CJ with a 73' chevy 350 (stock), everything newly rebuilt or replaced, autometer mech. temperature gauge.

Heres what happens...I can start the Jeep and let it idle in the drivway and it will reach normal operating temp of 180 degrees. It will stay basically right there, but it will rise and fall a tiny amount when the thermostat opens and closes. Then, I get in the Jeep and drive it around a little, and it jumps up to around 200 deg. and will stay there. Today I drove it for about an hour and it was right at 200 the whole time. Even if I am stopped, going 55mph, nothing seems to bring it back down unless I shut it off and let it cool down.

I was thinking it was the fact that my shroud isn't very good, but it seems like that won't matter so much except when stopped or going slow. So what can be wrong with it??

Dan
PS-sorry this post is so long...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with it at all. One of my first toys was a 73 K5 blazer with a 350, it would run 200 all day long, except on the trail and in traffic where it would go as high as 230. That is acceptable and normal as far as I know. several of my friends still run 350's and that seems to be the standard. I only know of one guy who runs cooler, and he has done alot of work experimenting with thermostats and crap. He has even gone so far as to clean out some of the excess materal in the thermostat housing for better flow and he installed a aftermarket water pump with a special aluminum blades in it. I really don't think that you should worry about 200 though.

'95 Cherokee; '86 CJ-7, HEI upgrade
'84 CJ-10a, running stock; '84 CJ-10a, running stock; '84 CJ-10a, running stock; '85 CJ-10a, needs alt & vacuum pump.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not really worried about 200 degrees, just worried that it should be at 180 because thats what the thermostat is. It just seems like if it is a 180 degree thermostat, it should stay around 180. Is this wrong?
Dan

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My 283 runs at about 200 deg on the trail with the fan running while I am crawling, and I have a 160 deg thermostat! If I turn the fan off it climbs to 215 real quick. Driving around town with the fan off it runs at about 155.
Maybe you need to replace your thermostat? You could always boil some water and drop it in to make sure it is opening all the way.hth
big ed

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A good fan shrowd will greatly improve the efficiency of you cooling system, don't overlook it. Without on you're waisting energy blowing air around the engine compartment, not through the radiator.

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
[email][email protected][/email]

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
200 is nothing to worry about, but you are right about the other fact. IT SHOULD RUN 180. Or close to it.
What rad do you have? 2 or 3 rows thick?
Does it have a high dollar thermostat? (it could still be bad- -1/2 stuck)
Do you have a winch clogging up the airflow?
Are the impellers on the wp deteriorating?
Whats the ratio of coolant mix?
How old is the rad? (1/2 plugged)
Is the guage EXACTLY right?
Theres a few things to check.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the temperature the thermostat is rated at where it starts opening, not where it opens all the way? Therefore, the engine temperature would have to hit 180 degrees before the thermostat opened at all, and about 210 before it opens completely. I think the temperature spread between open a crack and open all the way is about 30 degrees. Anyone have a spare stat and thermometer they want to check with? Then it should run around 200 most of the time. This would leave a 10 degree (or 33 %) reserve in the capacity of the cooling system.
Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK dirt dog, here's the answers to all your questions...
-radiator is a new 3 core conversion radiator from 4wd hardware
-no winch or anything blocking airflow
-new water pump
-50/50 antifreeze mix
-gauge is a mechanical autometer gauge (new) so I believe it is exactly right
-thermostat is a "parts store" brand, maybe I should get a better one...?
-shroud is a homemade unit...
what do you think??
Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at your list i would guess that the parts store brand thermostat should be replaced with a brand name thermostat being that many of the part store brand pieces are made in other countries by the lowest bidder.And quality is not a concern in thier manufactor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get some of that redline water wetter and put it in there!! THen take some thin aluminum/tin and fill in the space between the radiator cap and grill. I've jacked with mine for 2 years now and that is the only thing I've actually gotten to work!! It'll run at 180 till all day unless I start flogging the snot out of it!!Good luck!!!

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.