Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that you can do this with the old AC Comps that have there own oil crankcase, In other words they don't require oil in the freon. I've heard that you can get alot of pressure out of one and can rig the clutch to a toggle switch to turn it off/on and also run an air tank. Anyone done this? I know where I can get one of those units and wondered what all is involoved and if it really works. Has to be better than those stupid 12-volt compressors that take 15 minutes to air up a bicycle tire.

· Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! That will get me started for sure! Also was wondering what kind of output can you get out of one of these things? I've heard that the old yorks put out ALOT of presure. Will I be able to fire up the truck and run my impact wrench for long periods of time where my 6hp/26 gallon craps out on me?? I thought about finding a couple old air tanks off a semi. Every once in a while I'll see one in the dumpster at work. They are pretty good capacity and could easily be tucked between the bed and the frame (i've got a behind the seat tank so space under the truck is no problem)

· Registered
3,041 Posts
that will work great, 5 gallons on tank, and i can change 8 lugnuts with a 3" stud(thats hard the whole way on/off with mud) thats 9/16's diameter without kicking the compresser back on.

· Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that sounds like i'll like the results for sure! My home air compressor kicks on after about 5 lug nuts hehe. I should have gone with a better impact wrench than the cheapest 1/2" at wal-mart(250 ft lbs i believe). At least I got a good air-ratchet. I see alot of posabilties with OBA. I was thinking of eventualy going to lockers so ARB's would be ideal! Also where I work they just replaced 2 air-ride semi seats and the old ones are just sitting around I'd love to get my hands on them ditch the bench and build a center console! They aren't pretty but hey thats what seat covers are for. I think that air-ride seats would make up for the crappy ride! At least they do on a semi. Also I tend to haul gravel and dirt alot with my rig so rear air-bags would be another nice add-on. I've also heard of an air powered dump bed setup. But i've yet to see much on them. Seems like PTO would be an easy way to go on that. Maybe a hydrolic winch setup also..... I guess you can do anything with money.. Shame I don't have any
I thought about getting rid of my muscle car project since I don't have the $ for one project let alone 2 hehe. At one time I thought of using the engine I have for my car in my 4x4 (divorced transfer case makes for more engine swap options) But it would be just to dam* discraceful to put anything other than a ford engine in a ford..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.