Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was going up a pretty steep hill with loose dirt and gravel this weekend, and everytime i lost traction and starting spinning the rear tires i experienced what i would call "more than normal wheel hop" not violent or anything (also i did let off the gas everytime it occured)
my jeeps has a Dana 60 and uses rear leaf springs that are factory CJ with a full length add-a-leaf and i also have a "buggy leaf", no track bar, and normal aftermarket shocks (1 per side in almost stock location)

so, what do you all think i should/can do? (oh ya, i don't really want to limit my articulation)

i've thought about alot of different options, how about some "kicker shocks" or above the springs traction bars, i think i like the idea of 1 link that will control axle wrap (positioned as close to the differential & transfercase output as i can get it) along with a second set of shocks maybe. i've used ladder bars before and don't want anything hanging down limiting ground clearance.

i have access to tools and can fabricate most things myself, any ideas or experience will be appreciated /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

G

·
Check out the traction bar that Sams offroad makes.I built one for my scrambler,and totaly got rid of spring wrap.I used some 3-point hook up swivels from tractor supply for the connecting points.They cost about $7.00 apiece compared to the $38.00 apiece for the johnny joints..It took the better of a saturday to build and I couldnt be happier with it. I think the web site is this.
http://www.samsoffroad.com

· Registered
4,438 Posts
What do the 3 point hook up swivels look like, Im not familiar with what you are talking about? Do they attach to the axles, if not how do you attach at the axles. I have been thinking about some sort axle controll, as long as it doesnt limit travel or ground clearance. My current suspension works great, but it is extremely hard on the rear springs due to flex and axle wrap. Besides I need another project to work on, the Jeep trailer is just about refurbished.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

G

·
They're basically just a big heim joint. I'm thinking the ones on my tractor use a 3/4" pin to attach to the tractor and implements and I have a Type 1 three-point. Don't know if there are different sizes based on the 3-point type.

G

·
The ones that i bought were 3/4 weld on eyelets.They also had brass sleeves that would sleeve it down to 5/8 bolts.They are a lot easier to come up with and make fit than a 3/4 bolt.The things look just like heim joints, only they dont have threads,just a flat end . I took the pipe that I was putting it on and notched it so that the eyelet part would slide in the pipe.Then just welded it up!!

G

·
The joints are like (picture this) 1/2 inch thick plate steel with a ball with a hole in it in one end.On a tractor, that is how you hook up the implements to the tractor. They have to be able to swivel for back and forth movement.I took some 1/4 in, plate and cut it to make brackets that are welde to the rear end.Take a look in a JEGS or SUMMIT catalog at some of their ladder bar kits.It is basically the same thing, only it has to have a shackle on the tranny end so that it doesnt hamper your articulation.i wish that I had a way to send you a picture,it would explain it a whole lot easier.Petersons 4-wheel and offroad did a feature on sams jeep, and it showed some good pics of it.I just cant remember what issue it was.Thats where I got the idea...

· Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've been doing some research and i think i'm going to build one of these ladder style bars myself,
how did you mount the front end? i see the shackle type mount, did you bolt/weld yours to your transfercase skid plate?

also any idea how far away from the alxe tube the rear links need to be, i'm thinking maybe only 3 inches, i don't want the bottom one hanging way down.

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.