Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info on how to reach Dynatrack? I'm looking for someone that builds and sells custom axles, complete from brake-to-brake that are ready to bolt into a YJ (direct replacement). I had seen rubicon express' web site and it said they offered them, but when I called, they told me they had stopped selling complete axles about six months ago. I want front and rear D44's with options like warn premium hubs, disc brakes, and lockers already installed. I know a lot of you will give me grief for not building my own, but living in an apartment, no welder, torch etc, much less any where to do the work, doesn't leave me that luxury. Anything I do has to be a definate weekend'er. Also suggestions for which locker to go in which end, or advice on what to look for or look out for would be appreciated. I was thinking Detroit locker for the rear, and Detroits new 'quiet locker' for the front (or maybe for front & rear). Since I'll have hubs on the front, the locker's road manners should be much of a factor... anyway, let me know.... TIA.

-Spyder

· Registered
6,355 Posts
Wow! Spidey! You are getting SERIOUS about that Jeepthing. Didn't SWISSJEEPER recently get some complete axles? I'll be glad to sell you a nice house in Modesto....four bdrms. one to sleep in, and three to hold the boxes of Jeep stuff that you ordered and haven't had time to install. Also, you could ask the head honcho on that "other" board about finding some slap-'em-in-complete axles. Every now and then I am amazed at some bolt-in kits....a buddy of mine bought an overdrive for his Dodge Diesel dually, and incredibly, we installed it just in the driveway of his vanilla tract home with only simple tools...only went to the auto parts to upgrade some too-cheap-for-comfort bolts.
More often, howver, the line: "Fits all Jeeps" means that it only takes a welder, a torch, and a complete machine shop.

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spyder,

I just got a Currie Dana 44 completely set up with an ARB, 4.56 gears and disc brakes for a 91 YJ. It came completely assembled all I had to do was fabricate brake lines and emergency brake cables. I ordered it though Lift Kit Warehouse in Modesto. They also have a location in Antioch. The telephone number for Modesto is 209-521-9600 ask for Dan. Tell him Paul or Andy said to call. Let me know how you make out.

Rkcrwlr

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds great! will you take Jeep parts in trade for the place? I'll have a couple of complete axles I could give you for it pretty soon..... BTW, I've heard that lockers are pretty bad in snow... what are your thoughts on it? Limited slip maybe? Figured I'd ask... Happy Jeepin'!

-Spyder

· Registered
6,355 Posts
Lockers in snow??? Excuse me while I recover from laughing. I imagine that it would be deadly...if not worse. You know, now that I think about it; the Swissjeeper got his axles (or parts) from Currie while he was in the States earlier this year.

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since this is something I plan to do down the road, yeah, waaay down the road, but near enough to have some questions...Is getting custom made axles cheaper and easier in the long run, than say, getting a set of scout 44's, getting arb, a disc brake conversion, r&p adjust, shortening the shafts of the 44's, and setting it up soa.....What's the going cost of a couple complete axles with all that stuff set up?? All my money is sitting out in my driveway in 3 Jeeps..eep! According to my calculations, doing it yourself would cost about $1,800-$2,500(and that's just one of them)
axles:$300(I'm being generous)
arb:$700
disc:$600
r&p:$200
misc welding:a few hundred I'm guessing
Another problem I run into with getting custom axles is the delivery, I'm near Chicago, and all the custom axles places are on coasts. argh! Any info, let me know, tiz

Steve
98, 4", 33's, CB, Winch, Custom tire carrier, Battle Scars

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another place to try is R&P 4 WD Parts Inc. at 503-557-8911. They also have a website but can't remember
the address. They are 4 wheelers who test their products on their own rigs. Rich Imholt, one of the owners
owns "Bad Bee" The Canary yellow 3b that was in the Warn ads and has been featured in the magazines. They
also manufacture the "Hubber", and the tow bar/clevis brackets seen on the Jeeps in the Warn ads. nickmil.

· Registered
436 Posts
I have been going through the custom axle project myself. Let me give you pricing that I have experienced.

Dana 60 $150
Shortening w/ ford ends 225
Lincoln brake setup 175
ARB 620 (this price is 44 arb 2 wks ago)
Ring and pinion 225
R&P set up 250
Dutchman Axles 400
$2045

Dyna will charge $3000 for the same thing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My friend got a dana 44 front built from tri county.It was a while ago but i believe it was $1900 for the axle seup for spring under with a detrit locker and 4.56 gears, no outer knuckles since you use the old ones from the dana 30. If you have it setup for spring over then tricounty also sells the steering over the spring setup including the knuckles but it comes at a premium. Almost $1100 just for that setup i believe. I was just looking onight since i'm rebuilding the dana 44 rear i bought and i'm considering a front now. My jeep is a daily driver and i live in the snow belt so i'm gona run either a detroit trutrack(gear driven limited slip) or an aubur gear(clutch driven limited slip).I'm leaning tword the detroit since there is no clutches to rebuild every few years. I might also get a laockright if i turn up bad info while researching the l.s. For off road performance i'm gona run a detroit locker up front. If i'm locking in the front, i already have problems, or i'm looking for them.

Al
My web page

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.