Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok the new 258 is almost here, I want to eliminate the computer, egr and other related crap under the hood(90 YJ).
Is this going to be a big deal? Emissions testing isn't a concern. My understanding is the computer controls 3-4 degrees of timing and the POS carb that was on it. So since I'm changing to a holley 4bbl,header, and RV cam, what do I need to do about the computer?

Remember this is a secondary vehicle, So I have way more time than money to iron out all of the details. All of your input on this is greatly appreciated!!

Edder

Do you smell that?/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
The Nutter Bypass will do the trick to eliminate the computer. Don't worrry about the window the computer used to have, it was for knock control. Engines ran for decades before there was a knock sensor.. which was put in to control the advance by the comptuer anyway!

Your plan seems sound.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I removed the computer a couple of years ago for the same reason. Best solution is to use a GM distributor and cut all of the wires out. It really leaves a small bundle of wires after all of the Ford type ignition is gone and the computer is gone. Just hook up the hot ign. wire to the distributor and use the same tach wire.

I have a DUI ign., but think that the less expensive GM swap will work just as well if you are not racing. I'm not and I think that I spent $300 to much.

good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My HEI upgrade worked well. INCREDIBLE difference in engine sound (way smoother!). My computer is completely out of the loop (already half out after my Weber carb upgrade). The HEI dist/coil only requires a 'hot' ignition wire to work. Well, technically I needed splice in the tach wire too, but that was it. I actually left my computer there, but its unplugged. I have no idea how people get it out w/o taking down the windshield and the dash.

FYI, I got my HEI from http://www.driveajeep.com/
Really nice, and reasonibly priced if you don't want to run around a junk yard and rebuild a distributor.

Had to wait a couple weeks to get it though :(

Sam88Jeep

'88 YJ 4.2L, 32/36 Weber, HEI, 2.5" spring lift, 31" BFG ATs.

·
Registered
226 Posts
To take the computer out you realy only need to take the glove box out and the grab bar. Loosen the dash and away you go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts