Off Roading Forums banner

Computer died, so I built a new one...

608 views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Sycho15 
#1 ·
That's why I haven't been on the BBS in awhile, so I'm sorry if I missed any posts. I built a new 1,700 from scratch, and so far it's awesome and rock solid. I contracted a virus of some sort and got the "Blue Screen of Death", so the first thing I did on this one was install a new firewall and anti-virus setup. Needless to say, I'll be keeping a closer eye on this one. I was able to salvage most of the pictures and files off the old hard drive, but have to reformat it to get it back up and running. I've been going nutz not being online, it's good to be back.

G
#2 ·
Glad to see ya back. I don't post much, but I must say thanks for helping me with outboarding my springs and tranny mount. Even bought some parts off ya, think some fender flares. How is the Scrambler?

G
#3 ·
Ahhh yess the blue screen of death. My wife is a MCSE, I was a OS2 bigot for years. She tried to convince me how solid Win 2k is. Now I use Linux. No more blue screen of death. Plus hackers and viruses don't particularly go after Linux. Good luck with the new load

#6 ·
It's good to see you in there again Jeep "N". Just two days ago I wuz thinking about you when I had to slip under my GM 3/4T and tighten the lever pivot bolt on that positively superb twin-stick conversion setup on the NP205; the setup that was inspired by the one you built for your Shivel-A crossbred Jeepie.

#7 ·
Thanks all, it is good to be back. The Scrambler is back on track, but being winter, like everything else up here, it's slowed back down again. I have everything to start the reassembly project, and am looking forward to getting it up and running again, it's been too long. Work has also died down (went through 3 major construction upgrades) so I can dedicate more time. After that I get to install the Buick 350 someone dropped off in my yard into my Commando to replace the V-6.

Projects, projects, projects...

#12 ·
I also recently built a new computer (2.4ghz Intel P4) and have been thrilled with being able to play games and run the newer versions of AOL at respectable speeds (previous computer- still in use -was a 550mhz). However, for some reason I can't post to this website from that computer (I'm using one at school now). I belive the message I get is something like "The server you are sending from is not a valid host" or some such BS. It happened before on my old computer and I fixed it somehow, but have not had such like this time around.

Anybody got a clue on this?
Sorry to Hi-Jack the thread

#13 ·
Yep, seen that before. Are you by any chance using a software firewall like ZoneAlarm?? Just turn privacy control off. A lot of firewalls (software ones) have some form of privacy control i.e. it stops your browser from receiving cookies.

To be able to post, your browser needs to be able to accept cookies otherwise it is a no go....

#14 ·
In reply to:

Hey just looked at your pro. What type of water treatment tech are you?
Thats my line as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been at the Bath Water Treatment Plant now for about 1.5 years, I manage the lab, sampling, sourcewater protection, and damned near everything else at the plant. It's a 4 MGD surface water plant with filtration, and 2 weeks ago came in second in the state for the best chlorinated drinking water. It's so good we just completed a comparison against Dasani, Aquafina, Evian, Patriot's Choice, and Poland Springs bottled water, and our results are very close.

Prior to that I worked for an Engineering Company and was their top troubleshooter/problem solver for Water, Wastewater, and Groundwater (Superfund cleanup). I managed 11 sites in 10 years, but they kept moving me further and further south, until I was traveling 200 miles one way every day to work. Then they hit me with the "we think you should sell your house" crap, so I bailed. I took a pay cut, but am home usually by 3PM, so plenty of free time, and I don't have a stress level anymore, so it was worth it. I have every water, wastewater, and groundwater license attainable (even some OSHA ones), which total 8, all top grade. I never planned on getting into this field, but now that I'm here I love it. Where else can you find a recessionproof job that's different every day and has twice the pay rate of anything else in the area, with 6 weeks of vacation to start?

#17 ·
No Zone-Alarm, but Norton Internet Security which came with Windows XP Home. I'll look into it's settings... When I had this problem on my old computer after updating the version of I.E., it was something in I.E. that I changed to be able to post again...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.