Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that anyone would notice, but I have been missing off this forum for the past 20 months. I am in the process of building my new home, and have basically given up living while do so. The jeep has sat patiently waiting for a call to action. Sadly, it has done mostly a lot of sitting and waiting. I have used it extensively for its airing capabilities, and for dragging the field with a harrow, and lately with a some other equipment for leveling and smoothing. It has worked flawlessly.

Last Friday, while at work, I received a call from one of my outdoor loving buddies. He had gone into one of my favorite spots and was unable to return. While attempting to climb up the rock slide, he managed to blowout his front pumpkin, and spread parts all over the hill. I was called on to come winch him out. So, I reluctantly left work early, and took the jeep out of semiretirement for a little recovery effort. I can't believe what I have been missing. It felt so good to be out and driving these trails. I felt alive again. The incentive now back to get the house done so that I can go out and play!

To the recovery effort. Since he blew his front end, he was unable to do anything other than back down the hill and get to a spot that would allow any other trail users through. (He had walked the 14 miles out to a phone without meeting anyone else.) He was able in 2wd with a lot of wheel spin to get about 300 feet from the top of the hill. Knowing that my winch would probably not last for that long of a pull, even if I was able to stop for some extended cool down periods, I opted to drive to the top of the hill, run extra winch cable down the hill, (he carries 100' and I have 100' of extra cable,) plus all the chains and tow straps hooked together so I could hook up to him, and then I proceeded to back-up, about 30' at a time while he assisted as best he could. This worked out a lot better than I thought, until we were in the biggest rocks, withing 50 feet of the top. My jeep really had to work to get traction at this point, and with the front ARB engaged, I blew a front U-joint on the passenger side wheel. So now, we have two vehicles 14 miles in stuck in 2wd. (I have spare "U" joints, but while building my house I had robbed some of the tools to work on the house, Dumb, I know!!!) I was able to drive out quite easily in 2wd Hirange, It was just extremely fast and rough. I was even able to pull him up several of the short uphill sections by making it to the top and then snaking a cable back to him and dragging him up. We made it out to the main road at midnight where we left his truck to wait for a trailer ride the next day.

Now, for a little input from all the more active 4wheelers.

1) Should I have refrained from dragging up the hill and spent the time and effort to winch him. Just to let you know, my winch is and older warn 8000 with a couple of hundred hard pulls on it. It is sounding like it could give up the ghost at almost anytime.

2) the jeep performed superbly, other than the little mechanical breakdown that I should have been prepared for and an anoying squeak as it flexed over all the rocks. It actually sounds like the axles are twisting in the U-bolts. I periodically tighten these up, and in fact, partway in, I stopped and tried to tighten them. to very little good. Any suggestions for a cure?

3) because I was doing a lot of stopping to hook up chains and cables, my jeep was restarted quite a few times. Each time, the engine would race up to about 1600 rpm for a few seconds before returning to an idle. Sometimes, after idling through a rough section, and engaging the clutch, the same thing would occur. Anyone have any Ideas what this may be about? FYI, I have the Mopar fuel injection on the 4.2, with the 4.0 head.

BTW, incase anyone is curious, the truck recovered was a GMC S-15 with body and suspension lift, and 33" muds. (he had not aired down on his attempts on the hill. He may have made it if he had aired down.)

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Re: Come Back to the Flock, Update, and Need Suppo

These guys are vapor locked in political or religious arguments.
They don't have time for things as 'Trivial' as Jeep questions anymore...
-------------------------------------------------

Anyway, anytime you can use the vehicle to tow rather than winch it's a good thing.
The only way that a winch would have been practical in your situation, PTO driven or Hydraulic.
You can PTO all day long with no ill effects, You can Hydraulic as long as your method of turning the pump holds out.

Nothing at all wrong with using the weight/traction or momentum of the vehicle to move anything.

Electric winches were designed for occasional self rescue, nothing more.

SO!
How long are you going to wait until you get out there again!?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
3,501 Posts

One thing I learned the hard way the first time I pulled someone out.

NEVER EVER PULL BACWARDS. EVER.

If you can pull forwards, do it for sure.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts

Welcome back! It sure didn't seem that long since you were around as a regular. Must be a sign of getting old! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What JYG said about winching. Unless you have all day to wait for the winch to cool and the battery to charge, try to drive it out. A PTO winch can work all day and all night, and would be the best in the situation you describe, but it would be asking a lot from an electric.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice to see the puter is still connected and working, I was beginning to wonder there.

I really appreciate the quality of the responses. Nothing better than getting some of this boards elite to respond and impart their knowledge.

Now, can someone please expound on the "do not tow in reverse" recommendation. I know I seem to remember something like this in my past days, but due to way to much worrying about wiring, plumbing, carpentry, and all the other fine professions I have found myself into lately, I don't recall the reason, and could probably use a little engineering dynamics or related science to explain it.

Any suggestions on the squeaking axle U bolt dilema?

Or for JYG, explanations and cures for the high idle at start-up and when completeing a strenious section?

Some day, Way before I am ever finished, I will share my latest endeavors. Lets just wet the appetite with almost 1800 square feet of heated garage with its own head. Oh yea, and a house to go with it.

John, I may be MIA, but I am NOT missing any action. I have been so busy; I have taken a year off of ski patrolling, during one of the best snow years on record. I skipped an entire hunting season. For over 21 months, I have been averaging over 14 hrs/day working on this project. With a total of 4 days off since its inception. One evening/night to help this friend, one evening to catch the salmon fly hatch on the Big Hole River, and a weekend to travel to a family reunion. I bought a 4wheeler to assist with the yard work, and have a whopping total of 46 miles on it, almost all in my yard.

BTW, My jeep has been used extensively for climbing dirt piles, landscaping duties, climbing dirt piles, compressed air supply, climbing dirt piles, tool supply, climbing dirt piles, and or yea, a little playing around and climbing dirt piles.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Now, can someone please expound on the "do not tow in reverse" recommendation.

[/ QUOTE ]

In your case, you were backing up a hill. You had most of your weight on the front tires which means the rear wasn't providing a lot of traction. If you had been pulling the other way, most of the stress would have been on the rear axle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.