Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the whole rear axle on my 86 Comanche X. It's a 4cyl/2.5, 4X, 5 spd. I'm clueless as to what's in it and what will work as a replacement. It's mainly on the road, but I take it off whenever possible, so ratio needs to reflect a bit of highway driving. Thanks to any and all who have advice.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
make sure you get another axle from a 4cyl. The 4.0L will have 3:55's for the gear ration mostly likly, and you should have 4:10's.

have fun,

Todd

·
Registered
630 Posts
ok what kinda comanche is it there are lots of diffrent ones with diffrent set ups i haev the metric ton and it has a dana 44 in it with diffrent gearing to what some of the others are and is it all stock

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally got some time to actually do some checking ... the axle is a DANA 35 (c), dated 1988. This thing is like a Mr. Potato-Head with Jeep parts. Is it safe to assume any Dana 35 will work in its place? Here's another discovery last night ... amongst the other zillion things not hooked up on this Jeep is a blue vacuum line that goes to the transfer case, but when I force air in and out of it, a little module on the passengers side (engine compartment) clicks. It just scares me to see vacuum lines left hanging and open. Thanks all....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the kicker...my 4 wheel drive works like a charm. Maybe I should pretend I never saw it hanging there. I'm gonna spend some "quality time" with the old beast this weekend and I'll post my findings. I'm finding a lot of mix and match stuff was done before I took it over. Thanks again...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Discovered the vac line hanging is supposed to be that way. It's a vent with a small filter in it. You probably knew that though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.