Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 CJ7 and I'm tiered of a regular leaf spring suspension and I feel like switching to something more extreme. I want to be able to take it on any trail that I want, BUT I still want to be able to drive it on the road safely and comfortably (as comfortable as a Jeep can get). I would be engineer any of these suspensions or having it engineered if it got too complicated. I would like everbodies opinion on which they suspension they would prefer and why. Coils (like the TJ an Warns conversion), buggy springs (3/4 elliptical like the first sniper, or maybe Revolvers with buggies), or air bags (like the scorpion). The air bags is the only suspension I'm having trouble engineering; I don't know how the scorpion works so well. Tell me what you think. Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not a suggestion really, but I'd tend to shy away from revolvers and buggy's at the same time. Maybe I'm just thinking too much (that'd be a first), but I don't know how stable that would be.
Now a SOA with revolvers...................................

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
an air bag is simply a spring with a variable involved, this being the amount of air in the bag, they will be pretty much the same in charecteristics as a straight rate coil spring but allow ride height to be adjusted. I personally would avoid them, they are trick but they add stuff that can break and require a source of compressed air. the 3/4 setup is simple and allows lots of droop but they also keep the spring there which does sometimes have an effect on departure angle. if you look at a pic in action you will see the rear shackle hanging way down from the frame, this might tend to snag rocks in rough terrain. the coils are IMHO the best setup. there is nothing extra to break, no adjustments to worry about and coil springs are redily available from a number of suppliers in variable rates. want something really one off? try suspend it with torsion bars!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Hey All
I use a 3/4 elip w/my shackle design similier to revolvers. Its ture the spring hangs down a bit but it dos'nt hang up on anything. When I do hit stuff, it hits the bottom of the spring and slides off, no damage or restriction. I use this CJ as my daily driver and weekend crawler, works very good on the road and off. Check it out at My Web Site, look at rear suspension.

Wayne in Hawaii
"PYRO II" '77CJ5

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.