Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
clutch\\tranny

this probley seems like a corney question but i thought i should ask before i mess something up. Does the clutch or tranny have to be torqued to a certain pound or something.

Thanks Danny
68' Jeepster

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Re: clutch\\tranny

Been a while, but 45 foot pounds sounds about right. Good and snug, tighten the pressure plate one turn per bolt at a time till it is all snugged down onto the flywheel, use loc-tite. Not shure if you should use loc-tite on the tranny to bellhousing bolts, something worries be about the aluminum, might just use antisieze. Rrich would know more.

John
70 Jeepster with "Hurc package"
225 V-6/SM420/D18, D44's locked 4.88, 8" SOA 36's
48 flattie 225 V-6 HEI/T14/D20, D30/D44 31's.
98 Tacoma EC V6, 2" lift, 33's, and NO swaybar /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,346 Posts

The clutch pressure plate will need to be torqued to the flywheel. I do not know what engine you have, so I would not be able to give a correct torque setting of your clutch pressure plate. Usually the transmission to bellhousing bolts have a torque specification, and the bellhousing to engine bolts also have a torque specification.
dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

i have the 225 v6 in it and if you could tell me what thoes specs are i would apprecate it

Thanks a bunch
Danny

·
Registered
10,815 Posts

Very light oil on the crank/flywheel bolts, and clutch cover bolts. The clutch cover bolts are not regular bolts, they have a shoulder to center it and take the torque. Available at any speed shop if needed.

Antisieze, new grade 5 bolts, new lock washers, new flat washers and 30-40 lbs. bellhousing to block, tranny to adaper, adapter to bellhousing. You need thin flat washers to keep the split lock washers from digging into the aluminum. Make sure the bolts are the right length, they should go all the way through the threaded portion, but not beyond.
Don't forget a dab of graphite grease on the pilot bushing, fork face, pivot ball and trans snout.

Be fussy.

98% is Understanding it
"Don't Fix Unless Broke"

·
Registered
10,815 Posts

Just looked it up.
in ft/lbs

flywheel to crank - 50-65
flywheel housing to block- bellhousing 30-40
clutch to flywheel 30-40
do the trans to adapter and adapter to bellhousing 30-40 too

Had to modify my previous post -- had it too much, started wondering, looked it up.

98% is Understanding it
"Don't Fix Unless Broke"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks i glad that you guys are out there to help me out on thingd like this

Danny

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.