Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1979 CJ-7 with a 304 and would like to get rid of the machanical clutch linkage , any input would really help.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I have a half-crocked moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif here who says that even in HIS condition he knows better than to give up a mechanical clutch linkage for a system which is heavier, gives twelve times more trouble, is less trailworthy, will fry from exhaust heat, and is less sensitive to the clutch engagement pressure. Little moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifclaims that if he were in an extreme off-camber situation that he would only want the positive feeling that a totally mechanical clutch will give him. Of course he says that it is up to you....everybody should believe in SOMETHING, and right now he believes that he will have another beer/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Since the accident my knee has been sensitive to the mechanical clutch. I can drive the Toyota Hydraulic clutch fine, but I want to jeep. I thought about fabricating a hand level on to the floor to hook to the cable clutch. It be a handicapp device. I,m just thinking.

brownbagg

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
there is a company who makes a chain linkage, which is much better than the mechanical linkage ( regarding frame flex).

Ill try and find the companues name

ill probably go hydraulic because its cheaper, and easier to maintain.

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I believe it is Advanced Adapters that makes the chain thing but I am not sure how it works I don't remember being impressed with the pictures I saw.I was concidering doing the hydraulic conversion but would like to know more about the potential problems now that CJ Dave mentioned them ...or I could just rebuild mine .it works fine but is wearing out big time.
another project.....just what I need seems like I have as many new parts laying around as old ones.
I remember seeing an article about putting HEMI<<<? joints on the ends of the linkage to eliminate the bent ends but I cant find it anywhere.Go figure.... maybe I need some moon guys to help me remember such trivia...
this is really just an excuse to avoid cleaning the garage,or doing yard work.

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif My half-crocked moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif just reminded me that clutch linkage as factory-produced is rarely the ideal setup. It's a mix between doing the job, ease of assembly under assembly-line conditions, and cost. Just about ANYBODY can make a better clutch linkage if time and labor don't matter. Using heim joints would be a big improvement, as well as checking out other vehicles like a full-size chevy pickup for example./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif And BROWNBAGG....you can add a lever by clamping or bolting directly to the bottom of the dash such that it has a pivot there, the lever folds against the dash while driving with the clutch out, and draws back and down to disengage. You have a clevis which drops on each side of the clutch pedal arm and pushes down and away./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
i have a hiem joint clutch linkage setup.. doesnt bind at all.. it was made by a company in southern california.. mmm.. jks? maybe.. mmm... have wated away too many brain cells last night to remember .. i do know it starts with a J.. and they deal in custome jeep parts.. jb conversions? .. mmm.. and its not in my rolladex.. dang it..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
JB conversions is an outlet or somehow affiliated with Advanced Adapters ,I know of the chain linkage but only remember reading about the Hemi joint thing,I would like to know where to get either the HEMI connectors or the kit before mine break.Advanced Adapters also has a booklet on transmission swaps that seems interesting and one on the NV4500 I keep meaning to send away for them @ $10.00 a pop .
Anyhow even as worn out as mine is the clutch operates pretty easy maybe someone snuck a heavy duty clutch in there on you ...Last time I priced it out it would cost about $125. bucks give or take for the parts... master cylinder ,slave ,and connecting hose.not much difference in local parts as opposed to 4 wheel drive
except you need to pay shipping.....you also may need to do some adapting to your clutch pedal but this I am not to sure of....My 80 cj even has a cutout on the firewall where the master cylinder should go...
....decisions....decisions....
good luck to ya

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.