Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many hours does it take to install a clutch on a 1975 cj5 with a I6. i was thinking about doing it myslef.

·
Registered
630 Posts
It's not a bad job, but you'll need help handling the xfer case/transmission combo....they're heavy. You'll need a floor jack to lower it with. Depending on what kind of tools you have, you can do it in an evening. It's really just dropping the skid plate, unhooking the 2 driveshafts, and taking out the 4 bolts that hold the trans to the bell housing, then taking off the bell housing (about 8 bolts). You really should have the flywheel resurfaced, which will mean dropping it off at a machine shop, and picking it up later. I guess that means you can do it in 2 evenings.....

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ace,
I just did mine last weekend. I pulled the Tranny/xfer case and bolted them to the floor jack via the skid plate. They are just very awkward. I took off the top clip on the drive shafts and just loosened the bottom to get the drive shafts out. Resurfacing the flywheel is very important. Cost is about $25.00 and I picked mine up in like 2 hours. I think it took me a total of 4 hours and 6 beers. 2 hours disassemble and 2 beers and 2 hours reassemble with 4 beers. Before the reassemble beers check ring gear for wear on the flywheel, something else for the machine shop, and check clutch linkage. **Just a side note, I think we should grade projects by number of beers.**

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Judging by your post, you've never done any clutch before. This is a great one to start with, so go for it. Don't think about doing it... you can. Basic garage tools are all you need. A friend to help with the tranny/tcase will knock an hour off your time too. A person who has done a few jeep clutches should get it done in something like 3 hours -short of time for that flywheel or any other problems you find while you are in there. If you have pneumatic tools you can knock that time down too. I say go for it.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
pretty good advice so far, ill ad these:

REPLACE THE PILOT BEARING OR BUSHING
REPLACE THE THROWOUT BEARING

and its a good time to look at your rear main seal, and your trannys front bearing and retainer...

easy for a novice in a weekend with some help, some of the time

BTW if we rate things in beers Im gonna suck at this, it takes me 12 to get my tools out!

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a CJ rear seat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.