Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,105 Posts
Dan-
You know it's a bearing/fork problem because it goes away once you engage them slightly.
It could be a wrong fork or a wrong sized release bearing that would tend to 'cock' the bearing.
But my first thought is that this style of external slave demands a stiff return spring to keep the release bearing off the clutch forks.
This also helps keep the 'self adjusting' feature of this setup functional.
Basically you should have at least 1/16" over all clearance between the release (throw out) bearing around the circumference of the clutch's arms.
The heavy spring holds the fork off the clutch arms to prevent the bearing from 'racing' with out load (source of whine?) all the time.
The spring should be in line with the trannie shaft center line, the fork's pivot, and the slave's rod ...
Good luck.
It should take longer than a weekend to totally crap out a new release bearing.
But just in case, I'd toss in a tool box and an extra one and go have fun ...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

· Registered
2,105 Posts
"Only thing that was wrong was that the fork was off the pivot and i tried to drive it, and maybe i bent it. How much pressure can i put on the fork? I tried to put some more pressure on the fork, by turning the adjustment screws on the slave cylinder rod to the fork. I am thinking about trying to put pressure on it, because when i do press the pedal down it stops, i am just dont' want to burn out the clutch."
-------------------- cut

Dan-
Definately add a good return spring to the FORK.
You know ya got something cock-eyed from your statement (above).
Before you add the big, external spring, make certain the ball is in place ...
and you don't need to worry about ruining the pressure plate as long as you have some 'rattle' in the fork so you know the bearing isn't 'riding' the fingers (before you add the return spring).
My spring was strong enough so I can not manually 'rattle' the fork with it installed but I definately have some 'slop' with out the spring and slave rod installed.
In fact, I just went all through this again when I changed out my T-5 bell housing for an earlier T-1150/176 bell housing to accomidate an NV4500.
The slave rod's angle of approach changed with this housing swap and I had to add an adapper plate to lower the slave a little...
Doesn't your style of fork/bellhousing have a smaller spring that draws the fork down onto the ball ??? ... this could be the problem ... you could have popped this small spring off which could be a continuing source of problems.

JAF

· Registered
2,105 Posts
Good job, Dan.
Now do yourself a favor and leave the adjustment as it is and KEEP THE LITTLE RATTLE and ADD A SPRING!
The looseness is to leave enough clearnence to keep the race off the clutch. The slave should 'self adjust' the pushrod (if it acts like the push type).
The external spring will help keep the bearing off the clutch AND snug the fork back so it shouldn't rattle!
Perfect! ... /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

JAF

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.