Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 TJ with a 3 inch suspension lift and I just had a Tom Woods custom drive shaft put on with a JB conversions SYE. Problem is since then there is a clunk whenever I start off after going the opposite direction. Like if I back up after going forward it will clunk, then when I go forward again it clunks again. If I go forward twice it only clunks the first time and won't do it again until I back up again. So basically it only does it once after changing direction. It is a loud clunk and sounds like it is coming from the middle or back of the jeep. I tried tightening shocks, track bar, and sway bar. Does anybody have any idea what it could be???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is it an automatic or a manual?

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a stick. The drive shaft is brand new, like 2 weeks old. Could it still be bad?

Landon D.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, where are the tranny mounts, are they where the t-case and transmission bolt to the skid plate that holds them up? Are they easy to get to. How many are there?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I doubt if it is the driveshafts if they are Woods units. I'v NEVER heard of him shafts being bad and I know ALOT of people with them.

Al
My web page

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I HAVE THE ANSWER! My old man had the EXACT problem with his early Bronco, will get with him and get back to you. Had
something to do with his new driveshaft and axle wrap/ujoints?

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, please let me know, cause I think that might be it. But I have no idea how to fix it!

Thank you
Landon D.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a friend on mine had the same problem when he bought his truck. When he finally got aroung to looking at it the rear carrier was broken and the spider gears were moving back and forth in the carrier.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i had this problem on my YJ w/ the Rubicon Express SYE. I forgot to tighten up the little bolt that holds the driveshaft mounting plate, to the output shaft. I know, kinda vague description... the bolt had worked it's way loose (caught it before it fell out though) and the mounting plate was able to slide fore and aft, on the splines, a quick twist of the wrench (after 20 min pulling the drive shaft) and the problem was gone.
Good luck
BJ

to hell with it, lets go wheelin'

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found the problem. It was the upper bolts of the upper control arms.
Thanks for all the help

Landon D.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.