Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small clunk in the rear when I take off from a complete stop. I laid under the Rig and rocked it back and forth and I noticed the Rear End was torqueing a little, as almost twisting a small amount, I think it may be loose Ubolts, but really can't tell. Does this sound right, am I looking in the right place... or is there something I am missing...

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
398 Posts
He said he has a crack in his rear end

Billy

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Crack in Rear end area...

Yeah, the spring perches appear to be cracked & leaking oil, which is probably why the bearing went out. havack & I spent a couple of hours today on what I expected to be a ONE hour job. I was just gonna pull the cover, the cross-shaft, the L axle, and its bearing, then slap in the repair bearing & throw it all back together, but...

The bolt for the cross-shaft sheared, so we had to drill it out. But we couldn't drill it completely because I didn't have a 1/8x12" drill bit, so I hammered it after havack drilled all the threads off. But the pin stuck thru the other side, so I busted out part of the diff carrier. That wasn't all that big a deal since the shaft could still be retained, but the bearing wouldn't pop out with my makeshift bearing puller, so havack had to go to the Zone and pick up a REAL one for me. But after installing the new bearing, I didn't have my spare cross-shaft bolt at the house, so the truck's rear end is gonna be open all night!
(Hope my truck doesn't get raped!
) We're gonna go pick it up tomorrow morning. (...and maybe do some off-roading on the way home!
)

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Re: Crack in Rear end area...

Yeah, but I've got a guy who'll buy the '96 shortly, so I hate to use it myself. Plus, I don't want that ratio. I'd have to go find another '87-96 3.08
or regear the '96 axle

Naaaaaahh... I'll just beat the crap outta this one until something breaks off!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Re: Crack in Rear end area...

i got to axles steve, do you want one?
$100 for a bare housing and a set of 3.08 gears.
$50 for 2 shafts.
$10 for the flat stye yoke
$10 for the yoke style yoke.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not got into it enough to see if it is the Slip Joint or the U-Bolts yet, but I would have to say that axel tubes are cracked... I broke a 8.8 axel tube on my Mustang once and you definetly know when it is cracked, you can smell the rear end lube and it is leaky or wet in that area... I don't smell anything and don't see any leaks... thanks for the heads up though... I think it may be the slip joint now, I have been listening to it and paying more attention to the noise, and I think the reactions I am getting to the noise sounds more and more like a slip joint, I had some making noise on my 79 Jeep Cherokee last month but that one had three zerk fittings on it for lubing, that was nice, I just pumped away and the noise went away...

Thanks
David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts