Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding some axles and I pulled out the axleshafts and they are pretty rusty, do I sandblast the rust off or do I just leave them as is?? I can't afford new axleshafts right now and I won't be using these hardcore(at least not yet) so what should I do??

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would imagine the rust is really just on the surface. If it were me I would get them nice and clean before putting them back in.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3/4TonYJ that was my dilemma...I take the rust off(probably sandblasting cause the rust would be a pain to do with a scotch brite) and that weakens the axle shaft because I am removing material OR leave the rust on there saving more material.......

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif High strength steel will rust immediately upon contact with moisture. That is how you know if the tow chain is proof steel...if it rusts quick. The rust, however, sits on the surface, and if the truth be known, sort of seals it over. You may have seen hiway guard rails that were rusty? Well, it's what they call Cor-Ten, it's high carbon, and the rust forms a crust that prevents further corrosion. They also make roofs that way. Just another goofy idea by someone who thought that rust looks more like nature./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless I've made 'em up myself.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
While it may look like a lot of rust, it is really a very small amount of metal that you are loosing. When steel rusts is expands 8x. So of all that rust you remove, you only removing 1/8 as much as it seems. My friend bought a fairly large Steel sailboat and used a SHOVEL to get all the rust out of the bilge. He had the hull checked and found only a tiny amount of loss in integrity. He painted his bilge (imagine that!) and keeps it so dry down there that he stores his electric hand drill and drill bits, etc, in the bilge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.