Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\"Clark\" 5-speed

this is a picture of a "Clark" 5-speed model 285V (with a 6.99 1st gear) it belongs to my Boss, i took some pictures for a future "Web Page" section. just thought some of you might like to see one,
(also i think he's planning on selling it, it's located in south central PA)

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

G

·
Re: \"Clark\" 5-speed

Funny, I was just reading a book on suitable tranny swaps. I think Advanced adapters put it out and they mentioned the clark because of its great first gear. you gonna stick it in a jeep?

Axlesupagain

·
Registered
4,618 Posts

most of those ole clarks came out of heavy trucks.. the ones used for hauling..1 tons on up to like 5 tons.. there are a bunch of them.. and different models of each.. so if you get one. you better know what you are looking at.. not all have that great first.. some have like 8 gears in them.. all kinds of stuff.. i have a listing of them here somewhere .. not sure what i did with it..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

I once thought about using a Clark, but the more I researched it, the more I shyed away from it. You can get them in ratios lower than 8:1 for first, and some six and seven speeds (maybe eight, but top gear is always 1:1). The problem is, they weigh like 300 lbs, a little too big for a jeep, and would need the pricey adapters. They also came in some school busses (and tour busses) and a lot of LARGER trucks. I decided to save some weight, take a hit on the gear ratio (6.54:1) and go with the popular and common-as-hell SM465. Hey, it's a price thing!

jeepgod is right, some started with high first gear ratios, so you have to know what you're looking for and how to tell the difference. You might inadvertently wind up with a 6 speed that has a 4:1 first, not a good swap. I also have some info on them, but I'll be damned if I know where it is now.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" TSL's/IHC Scout II D44's 4.10's & Lockrights

G

·

The Clark does have a unit with overdrive, it's just a rarity. I remember seeing a company down in Mississippi that sells them with all the adapters. Don't know how they would price compare to the NV4500 though.

G

·

the overdrive is a 280VO it was used by international harvester in medium trucks and school buses, thats the one to look for.
good luck, jjc

G

·

Thanks for the info everyone! I think Ill stick with my original plan and use one of the sm420s I have laying around. sounds like a hell of a tranny, just a little too much for a jeep.

Jesse in southern OR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.