Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
So are you going to stretch Snojeep and use 3 Dana 60s? Wonder how he hooked the rears together,
it says 6x6.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also wonder how he hooked the two rear axles together....I have seen a 6x6 Jeep in a bunch of mags....man I wonder?? By the way that is one of the coolest 4x4's...or 6x6 or whatever that I have ever seen.

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
CJ7Taz,
I don't know. I never looked under the 2 1/2 & 5 ton 6x6 trucks we had in the Army. I actually learned to drive on an Army 5 ton 6x6 wrecker. I guess they figured I couldn't hurt it in case I ran into anything./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

xjy173

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They could use a dual t-case, or an output shaft from a pto and have two drive shafts to the rear like the 6x6 landrover conversions. I emailed them asking how it works and if they get back to me I will let you know.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Now THAT's a REAL off-road machine. Reminds me of my kidhood and 6 X 6's. There are lots of ways to hook 'em up. The army stuff in WWII had a two-outlet t-case and the front differential was offset one way and the rear the other to get the shaft by. The later stuff drives through the front to get the rear. They can also use belt drive with a huge "B" section belt on a pulley which sandwiches between the rim and drum. They used them on trucks in the fifties. If you used tow t-cases you could never go in low range. There is a guy just over the mountains who has a set of tracks for his 3/4 ton pickup.....four sets....triangular pattern with the two idlers down on the ground. Heh heh. That van really looks good./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey CJDave the tracks you speak of...some company, not sure who, offers a kit for Toyota 4 Runners to ride on 4 triangular tracks. There was an article in one of the mags a couple years ago on it and I saw something on TV a little while back. The thing really barrels through the snow and looks pretty tough.

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey all -
Went to Bozeman, Montana three Januarys ago and those thing are all over the place in that country. Ford, Dodge, Chev., Toy and Nissan. They don't go very fast, though, since that is a lot of mass whirling underneath there and those kits do redefine the term 'lift'. Those puppies are way UP there.
sln
P.S.
If I lived up there I would have me one. They drive around on snow you can't even think about walking on. You may walk IN it but not on it. They will drive ON it. Neat!
sln

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw a tv show that did a special on those things, they were pretty damned slick. They made your turning radius something near a football field, and they were dangerous on slickrock, but for forests, snow and mud they kicked some seroius ass. That, and they just looked damned TOUGH

MudFlap 87 YJ POS!!

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Those of us who have Quadra-Trac drive could take the insides out of the low range unit and just use the sliding clutch to engage-disengage and run a spud shaft with a yolk straight out the back which would line up perfect with a center-located rear differential on our new trailing axle, useing the new aftermarket differential with the high pinion input shaft and ZAPPO! We have a six-by-six! We would lose the low range, and we would have no true inter-axle differential, but in slop and mud that's ok. We could shift out the tag axle drive on hard roads and still have the front and middle axle driving. So, all you non-Quadra-Trac Jeepers are out of luck. Three driving axles is obviously the coming thing, and only us QT guys are ready for it./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If i'm not wrong, can you say Unimog ???

I seem to recall that the Pinzgauer has a 6x6, which has portal axles and an output on the rear of front-rear axle, which connects to the input of the rear-rear axle......

Volvo C-303/306 has this feature as well (they even made an experimental 8x8)

Shouldn't be that difficult at all (living in Europe, where Volvo and Unimog parts are easy to get.....)

BTW, one guy in my local club has bought an hi-roof Ford van from Iceland,very similar to the one on the picture, exept it is a 4x4.
But still, it *is* huge !!!!!

Regards,
PerJ (From Norway)

<[email protected]>
Using self-discipline, see http://www.eiffel.com/discipline

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Okay guys, you're coloring outside the lines on this one. You have to use the 3 Dana 60s, same as he
did, to answer the question "how did he do it?" There's one photo, with the body tipped to the right,
which shows that the rear axle has it's nose turned up about 30 deg. I'm guessing the center axle is
turned with the pinion shaft straight up and a gear box with a through shaft and a 90 deg drive sitting on
top of it to power both axles. I've seen monster trucks with the pinions pointed straight up but I don't
know how they keep oil to the bearings.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
It certainly is a fine truck; kind of a RV for the frozen tundra. It is also probably impractical for most people on this BBS. You guys might be coloring out of the lines on the wrong page. Think of the cost of conversion, the extra braking systems,tires, wheels, maintenance.... you follow me. NTM explaining the cost to your wives/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif.

And don't think you can't get stuck with a 6x6. Ask any of the fine veterans, myself included, who have spent a rainy afternoon digging one of these things out, knee deep in goop./wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Even my moon guys are tired just thinking about it. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif OTOH, we were WELL PAID and had the undying gratitude of the motorpool NCOIC??! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

As for tracked vehicles, THEY NEVER GET STUCK , right, Dave?/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif when ever we stuck our Cats, we would bolt chains to the holes in the track pads and then chain railroad ties to them and the rotation of the track would suck the rr ties under the cat. That is extreme, but when you stick a cat, it IS extreme./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Funny you should mention that Dave. When I was in the service, working the emergency service call
desk one weekend, I got a call to bring somebody out to the dump that could move a Cat. The dump
had caught fire and the firefighters were woried about the dozer so they kept dumping water on it. By
the time we got there, all you could see was the very top of the exhaust stack. The heavy Cat on soft
ground just burried itself when they added water.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.