Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to rebuild one of my spare transfer cases and just swap it for the one that is in the jeep now due to a chain that is starting to jump again. The one in now has a such a worn limited slip differential that I can rotate the outputs opposite directions with no resistance. I'm wondering if I can put the two cone clutches in the lathe and turn out the splines to make one of the spares into a non-limited slip differential. Will it work?

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steel I think. They are splined to the output shafts behind the side gears of the differential and have springs pushing them toward the differential to provide the friction. It just seems to me that if I turn out the splines, the limited slip part of it would be eliminated and give me an open differential.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
You'll find it mighty tough going to turn the splines out on a lathe; they'll be harder than Chinese calculus. Carbide tooling will probably not do the job; it will take CBN or diamond.

It might be easier to grind them out - rig up a fixture of some kind and use a die grinder with a mounted stone. If you post a picture I might be able to offer some better ideas.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't taken one apart yet but that is a good idea taking pictures as I go. I don't need them for me as I've been through one several times but it would be neat to post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts