Off Roading Forums banner

CJDave and his 1000th Post Upgrade List

874 Views 27 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  **DONOTDELETE**
Congradulations Dave! This is a real milestone! If I wore a hat, I'd take it off to you in respect! You've been a real asset to this forum, thanks. I'd be honored if you would answer this post on your 1000th reply!

I'd like to see some of the guidelines my fellow Jeepers use to decide on an upgrade.. What's your list? Here's mine:

1. It cannot be so complex the average shadetree mechanic could not understand the upgrade.
2. It cannot be so complex the average shadetree mechanic could not fix it.
3. It cannot be so expensive the wife and kids go without food.
4. Looking Cool has nothing to do with an upgrade.
6. It has to enhance the peformance of the Jeep.
7. It has to add value.
8. It cannot be something that cannot be fixed in the field.
9. It must use common, avaliable parts, used or new.
10. It must be field fixable without a huge manual.
11. One must not have to call a help line to order parts.
12. It must be able to be able to be fixed with common tools, nothing exotic like computer operated scopes, etc.
13. It must have good reputation in the marketplace.
14. It must be sturdy and eaily maintained.

Good Jeepin'

Larry
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
CJ Dave,
I don't argue politics, religion, or basketball here in one of the notches of the bible belt.
I do, however, engage in Ford Vs. Chevy, Dogs Vs. Cats, and Hamsters Vs. Gerbils arguments.
Once in a while I will get into a Budwiser Vs. Coors debate, but only if there is free beer involved, preferably on a Sunday...

I wish you another 1,000 or 1,000,000 or so postings.
You always seem to have something important or relevant to say, and unlike me, you seem to get along with everybody, and can put things into terms that even the most inexperienced beginner can understand.
I do believe you are a credit to the human race in general, and a massive resource to this data base. Keep up the good work!
Happy trails CJ Dave, and say hello to JeepChick and the MoonGuys for us.
Later Dude, Aaron.

So many cats, so few recipes...
See less See more
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Well Larry, using my 1000th post, I will attempt to add to your list of very well thought out points about doing Jeep upgrades. Since upgrades can include everything from adding a cupholder to Spring-Over-Axle, it seemed like the thing to do was just let my mind float and think in very general terms. Here is what I would add to your fourteen points:....(15) The upgrade should overcome SOME sort of legitimate deficiency, as to the suitability of the Jeep for the intended use,...ie..it isn't high enough to go over rocks/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif....16) The upgrade should be done with safety as the foremost consideration. Not necessarily making the Jeep safer than it was stock, but AS SAFE as that particular upgrade could possibly allow/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif....(17) The upgrade should be done only after some consultation with owners of similar upgrades on similar machines, in similar applications/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif....(18) Upgrades should be done on a save-and-pay-as-you-go basis, never by charge account/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif....(19) Upgrades should be done by the Jeep owner if at all possible/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. ....(20) Upgrades should never be done in lieu of the wife's new living room drapes/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif......If a man from Mars came to earth and saw what people do to Jeeps that they buy, I'm sure his "Big Idea" would be to make all the upgrades the same and mass produce the sample....silly alien....little does he know...it's a JEEP thing!/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.
See less See more
G
I'll only disagree with one of these & only under certain conditions. Sometimes, somebody has to be the first one to try something new. If someone out there has done it, I agree fully that you should consult with them. But, sometimes you have to strike out on your own - either to make your own mistakes, or to discover a new "upgrade". Twice in mud racing, I've been the first to try a specific tire combination, & I've been fortunate that it worked out both times. But, even though I didn't have anyone to consult with over my choices, I did do my homework (the first was using 15" wide rims to get 38.5X16 tires into a 37" class, the second was to try Q78's in the 36" class after discovering they have the deepest tread depth of any TSL). Granted, neither of these are as radical or as important to the 4x4 community as things like spring-over suspension, V-8 swaps, trussed axles, etc. But, for every good idea, someone, somewhere had to be the first to actually go through with it.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing
See less See more
G
CJDAVE, I whole-heartedly agree with #18. A few years back I was buried under credit cards. After crawling out from under that
nightmare, NEVER NEVER NEVER again. Pay as you go.

Gary
Sorry to disagree with #17, but somebody has to be the pioneer. I just make sure I can always get
it back to where it was when I began in case it doesn't work out.

Reminds me of when I first got my Jeep. I had taken my boy, about 11 at the time, to race his RC car.
it was a nice spring day just warm enough to have the top down. On the way back I decided to do some
exploring, running along the river bank. At one point I had to backtrack a little and my son wanted to
know if we were lost. I told him that I knew how to get back but I wasn't exactly sure where we were at
the time. When we came out I knew where I was and stopped at an A&W. The boy had never seen a
car hop and really liked root beer floats. The next week he wanted to know if we could get lost again.

Thanks for the honour of your 1000th post being posted to my question! Another dream realised!

Those additions to the list... I can't disagree with any of them. As my Ol' Pappy used to say: "Son, never buy the first model of any Car or Truck!" Then he'd look away whistfully to rememberence of when he learned that lesson the hard way. Me, I learned from him and extended it to upgrades... and I've yet to be sorry! Again Thanks!

Good Jeepin'

Larry
G
Ain't nothin' to say but: thanks for the wisdom. I've read a lot of CJDave's posts and the key thing is: they all make sense and none of them are just empty verbiage.

Keep jeepin'

Bone stock rigs: '81 CJ7, '96 ZJ. Moab every summer!
Dave, Like I said before, Mother Nature is holding back the snow in your area respectfully waiting for you to finish the SNOJEEP CJ-7. However, I wish you'd put on some speed; she's turned her attentions to us here in Philly(elev. 45ft.)
Best Wishes for your continued postings and PLEASE, HURRY UP!/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif GET THOSE MOONGUYS CRACKIN' !!!!
See less See more
Congrats CJDave -

To all: Now that we have these "20 Guidelines" established, let's start a new thread and hear some upgrades that fit the bill.

My hat's off to CJDave, too, but my bald head is cold.........

Dave's been most helpfull to me personlly. I've even used his number of posts to show my wife I do not spend too much time fooling around with this bulletin board, "just look at all the posts CJDave has made".

I heard her telling somebody recently that I am always "chatting on the Jeep chat room". Is that what this is??????

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town
Great list, but I do have to disagree with some of the points:

"4. Looking Cool has nothing to do with an upgrade."

Sure it does. There's nothing wrong with looking cool. Do you guys all run around with Jeeps in primer and dents? Well... I know some of you do /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif, but a nice looking jeep is cool. Doesn't mean it can't be functional too, or you should make a mod that isn't funtional just to look cool. I put a CJ dash in my YJ because I couldn't deal with the plastic, and it sure as hell looks cool, but it don't add to the performance of the jeep.

"6. It has to enhance the peformance of the Jeep."

Paint again, or the dash. No performance enhancements there. ...just looks cool.

"7. It has to add value."

OK, paint does do that. ...but what if it's just something you like, because it's cool? Like changing a YJ front clip to a CJ, or the other way around, just because it's what you want? Or for that matter, why own a flatfender rather than a CJ5? Cause it COOL, that's why, or it's what you like. You never get back the money you put in, so if it was all about value, none of us ever would have started in the first place. (Wow, so many personal views, I feel like CJDave. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif)

Other than that, I agree.

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.
See less See more
G
Well, I may have to defend Dave on the definition of "upgrade" not including cosmetic changes. I guess we all have our own definition of "upgrade" & while cosmetic changes are cool indeed, they wouldn't fit my definition, either. On my tow vehicle, an "upgrade" would be things like better tires & exhaust, where performance would improve, but shiny new rims wouldn't qualify. On my mud racer, if it doesn't make me go faster, or stop quicker, it's not an "upgrade". Not that I don't appreciate (or even desire) show-quality vehicles, but shiny stuff would fall under a different definition in my book. But, as you said, we each have our own definition. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing
See less See more
G
Have to agree, upgrades are NOT paint. You might want to paint that upgrade after it's done, but, for me at least, the paint is a
practical matter, stop rust. ie: my hi-lift mount on chopped off bumper, painted the thing after building and sawing, used good old
Rustoleum, the 4 wheelers friend.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
My hats off to you O" jeep budda guru Dave!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
#1000 post with 1,000,000 bits of info.
I figure the reason some mag. has'nt picked you up yet is they can't afford to put your team of moonguys on the payroll/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifDON'T DOWNSIZE THE CREW & KEEP UP THE GREAT POSTS!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Wider is better but taller is cooler!
See less See more
G
upgrades to me should follow three simple guidelines

a: safety
b: function
c: form

most all upgrades fall into one of these three catagories. it is just that simple. for example: roll cage is a safety upgrade, lift and lockers are functionional, paint is form. mabey i just like the KISS principle.

and acongrats to dave, 1000 posts is cooking right along.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
See less See more
G
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Our Hats Are Off To You Dave /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
See less See more
G
Thanks a lot Dave, you are a great teacher./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

If I can convince my wife, it is a very reasonable upgrade. See won't mind if I gave it a paint job, but that is the last thing on my list. If I did paint it, it would have to be camo with a glossy finish.

Just a farmer, who drinks to much coffee.
See less See more
G
Congratulations Dave. Thanks for all the advice/help!

G
My observation has been that jeep people, in general, are as independent as a bunch of hogs on ice.

So the question about whether purely cosmetic alterations are upgrades is easy: depends entirely on what the owner thinks.

Personally, I'll vote yes. But my last project daily driver (a '50 Ford 1/2 ton with a '72 302 under the hood) was painted with five cans of spray Rustoleum black primer, too.

Dave, keep it up.

PS-How the hell do you put all those smileys in the text?

Bone stock rigs: '81 CJ7, '96 ZJ. Moab every summer!
See less See more
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.