Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 86 cj7 last nite whilr driving on the road,my jeep seemed to loose power so i pulled over and it would idle fine for awhile but when i pushed the gas pedal down it wanted to die,then it fianally died,when i hold the key in the start postion and hold the gaS DOWN IT WILL RUN,but as soon as i let off of the key it dies,by the way it has a 258 thats completly stock.thanks in advanced

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It sounds like the "key" is the key! You possibly have a bad ignition switch, not ignition lock, SWITCH.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This sounds more like what my problem was with my 304. I'd be driving down the road, doing just fine, and all of a sudden the motor would just free spin, and got real muffled. It wouldn't start, and I had to prime it with raw gas down the carb. I checked every thing, including the complete ignition system.. Turned out to be the fuel pump. I'd had two go out on me in a 2 week period...

Its a $12 part, and should be easily accessable on the 285. its a pain on the 304 tho...

to check it, pull the wires off the coil, and the fuel line off the supply side of the fuel pump and put it in a cup, gas can etc... have somebody turn the engine over while you watch for gas. be careful not to get any on any hot or electrical, etc parts...

just a thought

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had this problem on another car of mine, not jeep. It turned out to be the fuel filter. Idleing it would get enough gas but step on it and it would spitter and sput and want to die. My brother in law cj5 is doing this now as well. There is dirt in the filter, alot of it. The sealant in the gas tank may be coming loose and clogging the lines or the filter and possibly the fuel pump.
Just a thought.

Jim, flatfenders forever

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.