Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The '84CJ7 is about to undergo a scout axle swap-front and rear. I've heard about swapping a ford hub/outer to beef it up. Anyone know any specifics regarding this project?

I plan on running a spool in the rear, unlocked up-front (for now) and 36's,4.56 gears. I'm looking for any advice regarding different options.

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
yes, running ford outers(knuckle out) will give you a stronger, more normal steering knuckle, with higher steering(if you find the d44 1/2 ton leaf sprung HP's, rare though)
it will also give you internal style hubs which are much stronger and dont loosen up.
if you stay with the extenrnal hubs, get 6 bolt ones, and run studs instead of bolts to hold them on. it will work MUCH better and tend to loosen up alot less than straight bolts which need tighteneing every 4 hours on a trail on a rig with large tires and a front locker.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
you need sterring knuckels form a 77.5-79 ford 1/2 ton. preferably with leaf springs.......
you can use wheel hubs and locking hubs from any ford 1977.5-92(after 92 they have ABS tone rings)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts