Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I already have a tricked out XJ but after suffering $4K of damage on Thomson Hill (Dusy Ershim) I've decided to buy a rig more suitable for hard core wheeling.

I have the chance of a 1974 FJ40 with a Chevy 350, power steering, Warn 1200 winch, 33x12.50 muds etc for $6000

or

A nearly stock 1983 CJ7 Ltd Edition in beautiful condition with a 2.5" Rnacho lift and 5x33x12.50 muds.

What's the more suitable for the hard stuff ?

Thanks

DS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They are are very comparible offroad. My only real comment is that Jeep parts are more plentiful and cheaper. There, that ought to start
the arguement.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FJ 40 has a bigger body (bad for tight trails), deeper gears available for the stock axles (I'm pretty sure), and a good torque producing inline 6.
CJ7 doesn't have those Birfield (or whatever they're called) joints, parts are more readily available and cheaper, and V8 power available stock.

You decide what you're going to use it for and what you need.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both will likely need additional mods for hardcore stuff. Jeep parts are certainly more plentiful, but if you set up custom axles or other such things, that becomes a moot point. V-8 isn't a factory option for '83 CJ7, but you can put one in there if you want (emmissions may be an issue with either). Which do you prefer & is price an issue?

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had both, and liked both. The Jeep rides "lighter", but to me it seemed like the toyota had more power. Toyota parts are more expensive but you already changed to a Chevy V-8. That setup is a real screamer. They both rust just as bad and both experience normal 4x4 wear and tear. Get a parts list, compare replacement costs, and go from there. You will like both. Are they the same price? same condition? etc. which needs more work? Good luck, hard decision.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the price is really close on the two I would have to go with the FJ40. The biggest reason is the Rat motor already in it. The 350 is a great engine and I would love to have one in my Jeep if I could afford it. However if there is a great difference in price and the Jeep is much cheaper then I would go with the Jeep. The reason for this is that a Jeep is cheaper to build and repair. Also both vehicles have weak points in their axles. The Toy uses birfield that are weak, but those can be upgraded to merfeild and then the axle is the weak point. The Jeep on the other hand uses the dana 30 up front which isn't as big as the Toys, and the model 20 rear uses two peice axles that should and probably will (when they let go) need up graded. If you still can't decide pick the uglier one so you will not be afraid to take it wheeling. Good luck.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

·
Registered
328 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm a Jeep guy.

What's an FJ40? I take it it's some form of Toyota?

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tim, just as a point of reference, dedicated bowtie freaks refer to the small-block Chevy as the "mouse" and the big-block as the "rat"./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I agree; 350 is a great engine - most popular engine in history.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, I was thinking of the 327 mighty mouse as just the mouse and for some STUPID reason thinking bigger I called the 350 the Rat. That was completely my fault I will not let that happen again. I'm sorry to mix them up, but the Rat is just as good as Mouse just a little bigger. Sorry again.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, and who ever heard of the phrase ...Lets go Toyota'n

This is a no-brainer for me and Im sure the Toyota loyalists would have no problems making up their minds.

Go with what your gut says! Neither choice is more logical than the other.... although I would argue a point about buying somone else's project.

I would always choose the vehicle that is closer to stock. If you want things done right then do em yourself!

Good Luck,

Larry 85CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would go for the FJ40 just because you don't see them in every grocery store parking lot. However, which tranny is in there. If it is the stock Toyota four speed, you won't be doing much tough wheeling because the first gear ratio is just too high. You will be looking at somewhere around a grand to swap to a sm420/465. It does have a $1000 winch, though!
Bottom line, you will love either one probably.

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny thing is over here in Aust - the FJ40 is just about everywhere & parts are much cheaper & more readily available than the CJ. A few years ago I had an FJ & it was great fun - sometime I still regret selling it to get a newer 4x4 - boy was that a mistake. Why - well I got a Diahatsu Feroza (which I still have in a rotting state unable to sell).

The TJ that I currently have is in a different league, but a few months back I was having lots of problems with my unijoints & I was approached to sway for a REALLY mean FJ.....I thought hard but decised to stick with the TJ - glad I did now, but I still have a sweet spot for the FJ....

Anyways only you can decide - both the CJ & the FJ are great rigs & provide a great platform upon to build....

Cheers
Wooders

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.