Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI!! I have an 86 cj7 with a leaky gas tank. I had a few minutes to mess around and try to see where it was leaking from the other day. The problem I have is that I can't get the skidplate bolts loose. the ones in back by the bumper. It looks like there are nuts and bolts holding it together,and I can get a socket on the nut,but I can't even see the head of the bolt to get a wrench on it because of the tub and frame. Is there something I am missing here? I really do not want to go after it with a chisel, unless there is no other options. Thanks for the help!! Ben

86 CJ7 258, weber carb, rusty but trusty!!

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of Jeeps! The skid plate bolts attched to the rear crossmember are very, very hard to access. I had to resort to a cutting wheel and cutting/grinding off the head of the bolt, for me, it was the only way. I tried dropping the front of the tank and using extentions to get on the nuts, but they were so frozen I couldn't budge them. I think you're going to have to burn or grind them off. I hope others have a better idea, I'll put it in my files.

Good Jeepin'

Larry

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Help Please!! there has to be an easier way!!
Ben

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sometimes you can take an impact gun with a 6 point socket to them. Put the socket on with a small extension, angle it as much as possible, and give it a shot. I just did it two weeks ago, the gun usually will blast them off.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas!! I was thinking about just getting a holesaw and drilling holes in the tub where the head of the bolts should be. I can't do much more damage to the tub than what is already there, because it is full of holes already!! Will this idea work?? Thanks again!! Ben

G

·
I don't know what you guys have going but on my 84 the front bolts are just that four bolts which are easily accessed on both ends while the rears are three studs. Just undo the four front bolts and the three rear nuts and start dropping. It will look like there are four studs in the rear but one in the center is the strap which holds the tank to the skid plate and does not need to be removed.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
um, the ones in the front should be easy to access the top and bottom. the rear bolts are carriage bolts. there is no way to hold them with a wrench even if you could reach them. if they are spinning, you're going to have to find another way to remove them.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D

G

·
I have had the same problem. What I did was to insert a screw driver between the nut and the frame to keep tension on the head.
This prevented the head from turning. Once it is out and befor replacing the tank, you may consider putting a tac weld to hold the
head in place. Just mak sure that they are lined up correctly. Good Luck, Goose.

82CJ5 Laredo

G

·
Could you get one of those nut spliters on the nut from the bottom. I had to use one on a shock nut. I had to split it from 2 sides to get it off. I have seen them in local auto parts stores for dirt cheap.

Just an Idea.

Lunatic
Home Page

G

·
ah yes, the mostun pleasant task of gas tank removal...I've taken out a number of cj tanks and none have ever been easy. I usually drill the rear studs out...with sharp bits and cutting oil its pretty quick. I've thought about making a steel strip with replacement studs welded to it: something to lay in that crossmember while the tank is out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts