Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I to want to get rid of all the smog & electronics on 84 will go with chev HEI but dont know best rte. for carb stuff have access to Clifford4barrel intake but want drivabilty & good idle offroad &stree don't care about mega power & don't want to mess with headers just want good runner for daily driver plus some serious wheelin. Used to do the fullsize chev hi horsepwer stuff but now just want simplicity like my old 58 F head I run for 16 yrs.Whats the best way to go stock manifold with weber, clifford with web or holley, something else ? any help greatly appreciatated THANX Yea its a258

·
Registered
328 Posts
You didn't mention what engine you have. My '84 has a 258. I put in the HEI, and a Weber 32/36. It runs great and has lots of power, but I'm a little disappointed with problems I've had with the Weber. First of all the float bowl keeps draining empty when it sits a couple of days, so I have to crank it a lot to get it to start. The other problem I've had is a hesitation when I floor it. This could be the carb or a timing issue. I'll keep fooling with it. If I had it to do over I think I'd have bought a 2 bbl from about a '79 258. It was a Carter I think model YF. I've had 3 other 258 Jeeps and this is the first one that didn't start up on about the first crank of the engine.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think if you have the intake that a 4 barrel 390cfm holley would
work very well for you.
I would love to try one out myself but the thought of price of the intake
then the price of the carb would put it very close to a fuel injection./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Gregg,

I've got a 390 crm Holley, an Offenhauser manifold and even the plate to tie in the throttle linkage. It is
all used but in the original boxes with the original papers. It's been sitting in the basement for a while so
some of the gaskets may be dried out. $400 plus shipping and insurance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe '81 was the first year for computer controled carbs. My '80 258 has a basicly plain-jane 2bbl. Carter. I'm just going to do the H.E.I. thing when I get it all back together and see how it goes.

Grant
60 CJ5
80 CJ5

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
if you are really wild about getting all the electronics out of the engine bay, i have a mallory dual points distributer for a 258..i used it for about 2 years..then swapped in a v-8...personally, i like the electronic ones, but i do have to carry a spare idnition module
~~Elusive~~

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanted the 'simple' look in my engine bay also and went with no-smog,clifford intake and single exit header,38mm weber carb, MSD ignition, and alum. valve cover. Everything works great for both street and trail but if I had it to do over I would do things differently. My MSD setup turned out to be pure s--t, and the clifford intake while working as it is supposed to, wont accept the weber throttle linkage device that comes with the carb creating worlds of challenges. The 38mm is too much carb unless you are modifying (cam etc) your engine.Basically the only thing I would do over with my setup would be the de-smoging and the header and alum.valve cover--everything else would be different. Sorry to take so long but just my expensive lessons learned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.