Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've exhausted my efforts w/ the search function, so hopefully one of you know this.

I've got a 10gallon gas tank on my '79 CJ5. 10 gallon is a horrible size to have, except when it comes to filling it up. W/ my engine, I'm getting roughly (and I lose the term loosely) 9.5mpg. Do the math, and I'm pretty much not even getting out of town w/o gassing up again. There's no way I can make a significant trail run, w/o packing two jerry cans. Not a problem, but I'd rather not have to put that weight that far back on my rear. My hoses are cracking and leaking when I fill up as well, so it's time to replaces those.

So, I need a new gas tank, hoses, probably the sender as well, and a heavy duty skid plate. Are the CJ7 and CJ5 tanks swappable? I really would like to get my hands on a 20gallon, w/ a 1/4" skid plate. If they aren't swappable...is there a larger CJ5 tank size? 13, 15, 18 gallon?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
10 Gal? Mine is a 16 gal.....or close to it. I know you can get a 20 gal. aftermarket

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
I think you're mistaken about the 10 gallon tank. The '78 FSM lists all CJ tanks at 14.8 gallons. Putting in a 5-gallon smaller tank is too dumb even for Jeep.

My guess is that your gauge is wrong or the pickup screen is missing. That can keep the pickup from getting all the gas out of the tank.

And a 1/4" tank skidplate is WAY overkill. 1/8" inch is probably still overkill unless you drop it onto pointy rocks frequently.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Sounds like you have the same problem I do. I run out of gas at 11 gallons but have a 15 gallon tank. I am pretty sure my pickup screen has fallen off.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I think you're mistaken about the 10 gallon tank. The '78 FSM lists all CJ tanks at 14.8 gallons....the pickup screen is missing...

And a 1/4" tank skidplate is WAY overkill...

[/ QUOTE ]

I swore upon the 15 gallon tank myself until I was sputtering along on fumes one day, made it to the gas station and only filled it back up with about 11 gallons. So I assumed I had a 10+/- gallon tank. I didn't know about the screen issue, and am sure now that's what it is. Thanks for the info!

1/4 inch is overkill...mentally was thinking of 1/8".

I'm going to try and buy one locally or a used one, but JC Whitney sells a 21 gallon tank, sender and tubing. Has anyone installed these or have the approximate dimensions of it? I don't think I would have any problems, but are there clearance issues since it looks deeper by about three inches? Any other mfgrs that have a qaulity setup? Does the total price of $275-350 seem about right?

G

·
I personally would never buy a jeep part from JCW.

Kragie has the 21 gal polly tank for $160 Clicke Here

I have bought from them a few times and have been very happy.

You will also need the sending unit...they list the part #...and a gas tank shield...or you can build one.....like this out of 10g steel.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Have any of you mounted an under seat tank in a '72 or later CJ5 as an auxillary ?

G

·
They stopped doing that.....not really recomended../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/30.gif..something to do with gasoline spilling on you when you are upside down.....or in a side impact.....Hot seat takes on a whole new meaning...........

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I drop too many cigarettes down there for that and I'm not sure that 4 kids are quite enough as I had the TV to myself on 2 separate occasions last week.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Just to answer one of your early questions. I've swapped a stock CJ7 20 gal poly tank into my '78 CJ5. No problems at all.... direct bolt in.

Bought the whole thing on EBAY. Tank, sender and some hoses. Easy swap!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodpost.gif That's exactly what I wanted to hear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif There's local guy piecing out his CJ7, and just so happens to have a 21gallon tank in it for $50. Just hope he hasn't gotten rid of it yet since the posting was two weeks ago!

Muchas Gracias!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree, but I'd rather have that $60 in one tank rather than two jerry cans attached to the back bumper.

We all need to get used to the gas prices I'm afraid. I don't see them going down anytime soon. I doubt we ever see anything under $2.00 for sure. If you're gonna be pissed about something, be pissed at diesel prices. For something that literally costs $6.00 a barrel to make, they're selling it for $2.59 here in Denver, or worse in my home town were we produce some of the largest oil and gas quantities in N.A., $2.81!!! 'Highway' robbery I tell ya.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Only a little more than a year of Bush and his oil buddies. I hope the economy survives it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts