Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a a 1976 CJ7 I6 258?. The question is the jeep has a 4 speed tranny. I didn't think the CJ7 came with a 4 speed in 1976. I will need the correct info for future upgrades and such if this is true or not.

I found this jeep through a friend. It only has 68,000 miles on it, a straight body and frame and passed Pa state inspection. I only paid a 1,000.00 for it does anybody think this is a good deal or am I looking for problems down the road if this thing has been rigged together.

Lunatic
From the land time forgot.

·
Registered
630 Posts
1000 bucks is not bad for a Jeep that's not full of rust holes and runs fairly well. Somebody may have replaced the trans with the 4 speed. You can probably figure out what it is by looking at it and comparing it to a 4WD Hardware or some other catalog. There are drawings in them and casting numbers from the case that you can match up. Does it have a low ratio (creeper) 1st gear? It could be the desirable T18. Or it may be one of the newer transmissions. I think the 4 or 5 speeds started in about 1980.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could still get the "granny" 4-speed T-18 in the 70's, but I'm not sure how late. It was only available with the I-6, NOT the V-8. You might have a stock, factory unit there since that Jeep has the 6. BTW, square door openings & 93" wheelbase, CJ7. 3/4 moon door opening & 83" wheelbase, CJ5. As mentioned above, the close-ratio 4-speeds didn't start until '80 & the T176 is the best of that bunch.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
If it is a correct Jeep transmission, and looks like it was installed with reasonable skill, as in it's not held in with bailing wire and duct tape, then I wouldn't be too worried about it being "rigged" together. You should also check that the driveshafts are of the correct length, and not at the end of their splines, or really compressed on their splines - some tranny swaps require driveshaft changes due to length, some do not (I'm not sure in this particular case) and this may or may not have been done. Safe to check.

By the time most of us are done (well, we're never really done, but...) building our Jeeps, we've got a mix of parts anyway, and need to keep track of all the differences.

I've got a frame and body from an 88, front and rear axles from a 90, dash and gauges from a 70-something, soft top from a 80-something... and I'm not nearly as mixed as some of these guys.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lunatic, the only 4sp in a straight 6 Jeep of that vintage was the T-18. It was in CJ's from 71 - 79. Anything else is a swap.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The four-speed (T18) was an option in '76. Some of them were low-ratio 1st gear and some were the 4.03 ratio as '76 was a transition year. Even if it wasn't in there originally, there really is no way to "rig" a replacement transmission without the proper adapters. I wouldn't worry about it at all, especially for a straight body at that price. Why can't I ever find one like that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.