Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '76 CJ5 and would like to convert to an auto tranny. But which should I choose?
TF727, 904, 999? Gm Th350?
Which adapters will I need?
I run an AMC 360 V8 engine

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I don't have the book I need close at hand but I think the shortest auto out there is the TH350 and in a CJ5 the shorter the better right?

·
Registered
840 Posts
even with a th350 the rear drive shaft angle would be so severe that the ujoints would pop just about every time you hit the go pedal measure your current tranny tcase and than look at how short you rear drive shaft is then measure a auto tranny adapter and tcase

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might be able to move the engine forward a bit to fit the TH350. Possibly more with a electric fan. You could also consider using a Postal Jeep grill. These grills are more convex than the regular grills allowing more room to move the engine forward. Just a couple ideas, I've never done it myself.

jo-jo http://island4x4.com
'79 CJ7
'56 CJ5

·
Registered
280 Posts
If it helps any the 904 AND the 727 are both 22 1/2" long from the bellhousing. the grand wag transfer is about 16" to the center of the front ujoint. The T17? and D20 are 30" from the bell to the center of the ujoint. You will have just about enough room for the 2 joints and a slip yoke for a drive shaft. But if I remember right the CJ5 did come with a TH400 and Q-track. The TH400 is r-e-a-l-l-y long sucker. It's 27" long. Hope that helps.
Jackie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only atuo trans the I'ver ever heard of successfully in a CJ5 is the Ford C4. Its is one of the shortest auto trans made.

JACOB
81 cj5 WITH SOA/SR/302
2000 TJ with 4" lift
Confuscious said:
"The wise man takes the path of least resistance"
I say:
"Confucious didn't know jack about Jeeps"

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
The TH400/quadratrac was not offered nor would fit in the CJ5. In a CJ7, the rear shaft is 17".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nope, CJ-5's never came with auto trannies. That's why they made the cj-7 and lengthened the wheelbase. I'm planning on converting my postal to 4x4 in the near future, and will keep an auto tranny. I will probably a) use an electric fan so I can scoot the motor forward a bit b)ditch the 232 ci I-6 for a 5.0 (shorter motor), c)lengthen the wheelbase about three inches and d)take full advantage of my postals' grill, which gives me another couple of inches. Four Wheeler magazine converted a postal years ago using a dana 300, stock 727 TF and 232ci motor and said they had no problems with driveline angles. I think they might've said that for publicity, but the conversion was successful. I have an extra postal grill if anyone's looking.

Postals have feelings too!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nope, CJ-5's never came with auto trannies. That's why they made the cj-7 and lengthened the wheelbase. I'm planning on converting my postal to 4x4 in the near future, and will keep an auto tranny. I will probably a) use an electric fan so I can scoot the motor forward a bit b)ditch the 232 ci I-6 for a 5.0 (shorter motor), c)lengthen the wheelbase about three inches and d)take full advantage of my postals' grill, which gives me another couple of inches. Four Wheeler magazine converted a postal years ago using a dana 300, stock 727 TF and 232ci motor and said they had no problems with driveline angles. I think they might've said that for publicity, but the conversion was successful. I have an extra postal grill if anyone's looking.

Postals have feelings too!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
One of our local club members has a good working CJ5 with 327 Chevy and 350 auto tranny in his. He uses the DJ front end and moved the engine forward. He also runs a D300 trans case. With 35" tires.
GP'n
Take a LOOK!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what!!! i have a gm 4L80E in my cj5 and they are long! oh wait my jeep is lengthened. ha

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts