Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CJ had the common problem of bent sheet metal around the drivers side wiper post, thus binding up the linkage. I finally got around to taking it all apart today, and I straightened out the sheet metal. I reinforced it using a large washer sandwiched around the wiper post, between it and the backside of the sheet metal. Question is, is there another/better way to reinforce this area? Or will this solution stand up over time? I couldn't come up with another way to reinforce the area and I couldn't come up with the cash to buy a new frame. Also, should I try welding the washer in place, or is that necessary? Right now it works, I just want it to keep working.

Thank you
Max

82 CJ7, 258, T-18, 4" bigger & size 33 shoes

·
Registered
630 Posts
I bought a brand new frame and had the same problem you have, so buying new may not fix it. I did what you did with a big washer, and so far no problems.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had the same problem as loosenut. I bought a new one from J.C. Whitney and within one week they wouldn't work. I reinforced in with a piece of flat iron and then because of the pain in the neck of not having wipers when you need them. I just took the passenger side wiper off. It's been off noe for about 5 years and I haven't had any more problems with it. The wife isn't to impressed with the set up but it works.

YJ with a 6.5L Turbo Diesel
and A.J.'s fiberglass body

·
Registered
699 Posts
Where are you guys getting your frames at? I have to pick one up shortly, and I'm curious as to which one's to avoid. I see raybuck has them for a 100, and they have a pretty good reputation. ken

·
Registered
630 Posts
I bought mine from Eagle Equipment. I think the brand name was Crown.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

G

·
i had that problem on the origanal frame and rot holes so i bought a new one and the same thing happened so i pushed the sheet metal back out and bought new linkage almost 80 dollares but works and i do not have any problems two years later! I tried the washers and it did not work on thhe origanal. I think the brand that i got was through rayback
good luck
Andy

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Early YJ's had the same problem since the design was carried over from the CJ. Mopar's fix for the old frames is a piece of flat stock that runs from pivot to pivot (and is drilled and formed to fit the bungs) inside the frame. The newer ones have a reinforcement ridge on the outside that runs from pivot to pivot and the GOOD replacement CJ frames have this as well...I believe 4WD Hardware carries these.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts