Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the post the other day. I also have a CJ. I have looked at buying a Wrangler because I have to drive about 35 miles each way to work and I wondered if my old 1980 cj was up to the task or not. Luckly my Wife talked me out of it. she said put the money I was going to spend on the Wrangler and fix up my old CJ because it was the jeep I really wanted anyway . my jeep is a 258 auto just about all stock except for all the missing emmissions equip. any ideas on what i need to work on or just wait till something breaks. any help would be appreciated.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Get catalogs from J.C.Whitney, 4WD Hardware, Advanced Adapters, etc. and make out your wish list.

If your interest is dependability, check electrical connections, engine vacuum, watch for leaks in the
driveway and listen while you drive. Start by changing all filters and fluids. If it moves, grease it, if it
doesn't move, paint it.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Personally I've always found that cleanliness breeds reliability. Clean the whole Jeep, inside and out, under the hood, the suspension, transfer case, the whole ball o' wax. 1 - it'll make you feel good, 2 - it'll help you watch for leaks. Checking wiring was a good idea - lost grounds are usually the culprit for me.

The best advice I got came out of a magazine article years ago. "Don't pretend it's not broken if it is." If something needs to be fixed, get it fixed, no matter how simple. Whether it's poor wiring you know about, a leaky this or that, a rumbling bearing here or there - it's only gonna get worse. And never say "eh, I'll check the oil tomorrow, don't feel like it today...."

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMTs,9000#winch, hm swing out TC/HL mount ,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know, Pete, I always have noticed that my Jeep runs much better after I wash it, waxing it makes it run like new! /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
(Of course I'm also the guy that is convinced that if you talk to it it will respond.)

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Yeah, creeper, I have to agree. Being 5 hours from home on a weekend trip (not even a 4 wheeling weekend, just a weekend away), my Jeep obviously has a heart of it's own, because I've personally taken it apart and put it back together, and it couldn't travel that far on my mechanical skills. :)

"OK Jeep, let's go home..." :) ...a boy and his Jeep.

HAHA
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMTs,9000#winch, hm swing out TC/HL mount ,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.